Is this more of a torch or more of a hammer?

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sold this coral labeled as a torch. I am only familiar with the branching type. However this coral seems to be more of the wall type, definitely not the branching. So my question is can I place this next to my torches or should I place it next to my other euphyllia??? Also just curious if wall torches are a thing or if it’s really just a hammer coral with a variant in tentacle length and shape. When opened up the tentacles are long and skinny. Torch type length but skinnier

8A6E7BC1-EEA9-45C6-AB6D-01228A05CE74.jpeg F4651781-72BF-4EA1-A461-031F30344446.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a better shot of the base? Maybe from another angle? Also a pic of it open all the way under white light may be helpful.
It's hard to see the base. I've never seen a wall torch before but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. From the pic it does kind of look to be the case. Maybe a torch with a slightly "squished" base growth because of crowding?
Maybe an elegance?

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to the vendor this morning and they responded super quickly even before business hours, I’ve always experienced exceptional customer service with them and they basically reiterated what you all have previously stated, thanks so much y’all!

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
im late to the thread, and someone already answered, but i knew it right away, from seeing the picture :)

Super interesting! Do they eventually split and look like a traditional branching, for lack of better wording here, torch?

its definitely a torch head, that is in the process of splitting itself. lol. to answer your question; yes, it will end up looking just like a branching torch. whomever fragged it, just cut the head extremely short off the original mother colony.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im late to the thread, and someone already answered, but i knew it right away, from seeing the picture :)

its definitely a torch head, that is in the process of splitting itself. lol. to answer your question; yes, it will end up looking just like a branching torch. whomever fragged it, just cut the head extremely short off the original mother colony.
Ahhh that would make sense. When it is closed up I would say that’s spot on to how I would describe the base looking. It looks like it’s going to be splitting into 4

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back