Is this normal for a shaft

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Matt groves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps is a 6105 it locked up - when I took it apart the impeller shaft looks like this

3351DE61-F666-4227-81D0-8A0ABDF50B5E.jpeg 75D828A9-A25D-46B4-9D4A-EB5FD29B5E43.jpeg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shaft should be part of the motor and the impeller spins on the shaft. In this case the impeller seized to the shaft and the heat and friction generated softened/melted the plastic seat. The shaft should have teeth to bite into the plastic. In all likelihood the motor is ruined, it seems the plastic is stripped/melted and there would be no way to reseat the shaft.

OP
OP
M

Matt groves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems a bit crazy- I bought the pump on Black Friday I think and didn’t run in till the tank was setup in feb/March- so it’s only been ran for a few months- this a warranty type of thing?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be tough to cover under warranty. For one, the design you show matches the construction from 2012-2016. Also, this sort of damage would typically fall under neglect as it is due to a lack of servicing, it is not caused by a defect, this would not have happened had the pump been serviced prior to starting to seize and could happen to any of our pumps that was allowed to seize. I would be willing to review it, but I would need to get the date code and see everything in person. Typically repair would be purchasing a new motor block 6105.100.

OP
OP
M

Matt groves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just pulled up my reciept from premium aquatics - was purchased 7/18/19-

I didn’t catch it before it seized I guess becuase I didn’t notice it till to late - I’m not sure- I didn’t think a pump would need cleaned or have the possibility to seize up that fast- it has been offline for a month probabky and wasn't started up till feb/March—so less then 3 months of use- should I email you or what best communication?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please send in the pump with a copy of the receipt. In most cases the pump should be cleaned every 4-6 months, if calcium or buffer is dosed near the pump or Calcium/KH run higher than normal or with low Mg or you have a precipitation reaction, they may need cleaning in half that time.
Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please include the controller and impeller/shaft. I do not need the magnet mounts or power supply.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back