Is this normal??

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently purchased a Chemipure Elite to help a little w my phosphate and keep in check as advised by a cpl of ppl on here bc I usually but the Chemipure Blue. I love this product and never have had any complaints. But this is my first time trying the Elite and when I opened and rinsed quickly there was ALOT of carbon leeching out. Like a lot. My hands were black. Is that normal for this product? And is it safe to put that in my sump?? If so much just came off on my hands from holding i can't imagine what will go into my tank. But I've never used this one before so idk if thats normal or not. Pls let me know! Thanks ;Happy

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'm not putting this in my tank. Usually when I buy chemipure blue I open it and its usually 3 shades, black grey and then white on the bottom and then I mix it. This whole thing was just brown when I opened it. I think it was expired maybe. Just wanted to make sure bc I've never bought this kind before. I'm going to try and return

Attachments

• 20210224_173549.jpg
    20210224_173549.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 22

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'm not putting this in my tank. Usually when I buy chemipure blue I open it and its usually 3 shades, black grey and then white on the bottom and then I mix it. This whole thing was just brown when I opened it. I think it was expired maybe. Just wanted to make sure bc I've never bought this kind before. I'm going to try and return
I'd return it, too. There may well be something wrong with that sample, but I've never used the Elite. And, with carbon fines pretty heavily implicated in HLLE, you probably don't want to risk all those particulates getting into your tank. That being said, years ago, I used plain carbon that was so dusty that it turned my sink black. I just rinsed and rinsed and rinsed before using. And then I wondered how my Desjardin's and Convict tangs got HLLE.

Last edited:

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly chemi pure is just carbon , I wouldnt get sucked into "special "resins that nobody knows what they do . The only thing added into the elite is gfo . In future buy a good carbon and a gfo and just use that . I'm betting you wont see much difference

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not normal but also why I don't use it anymore. Had it happen to me more than once.
Switched to Seagel and used it for years but for the first time in my whole career (long time won't say LoL) I stopped using carbon all together.
Return it.
Try running just Phosgaurd if phosphates are all you are looking to target.

Back