Is this normal

Cmajor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wwc space invader chalice starting taking on blue spots where it was most yellow. Is this normal or is something happening with it. The only thing changed was i had a SG was at 1.030 instead of 1.026 where i normally keep it. I was topping off with saltwater by accident. Ugg. Only could have been this way for a week as i test every sunday. This was about 3 weeks ago. I have since got the level back where it needs to be. Any help would be appreciated. First picture is what it used to look like. Second is what is looks like now

125 gallon display reef
40 gallon sump
Temp79
Sg 1.026
Trites 0
Trates 10
Ph 8.3
Am 0
Alk 8.5
Gen 5 xr 15 radion lights

5A7B654B-022B-4132-AE93-78DFD710AB46.jpeg 7C13F5EA-C05D-4E06-84CD-C5EF3FDF282F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not normal and eyes are melting away. This type of coral has certain reqiuirement for light and water flow. Just a short period to high lighting intensity can cause your chalice to bleach out. It is far better to begin with less light and slowly adjust the light level and/or placement of the chalice. Low to moderate light is best for them as well as moderate water flow.
They should be fed late at night or two hours of blackout as well as having typical nutrients available.
This is likely happening due to:
Lack of feeding
Change in lighting
Mag low (should be at least 1350)

OP
OP
C

Cmajor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not normal and eyes are melting away. This type of coral has certain reqiuirement for light and water flow. Just a short period to high lighting intensity can cause your chalice to bleach out. It is far better to begin with less light and slowly adjust the light level and/or placement of the chalice. Low to moderate light is best for them as well as moderate water flow.
They should be fed late at night or two hours of blackout as well as having typical nutrients available.
This is likely happening due to:
Lack of feeding
Change in lighting
Mag low (should be at least 1350)
Coral is located at the bottom of my tank near the sandbed. There has been no change in lighting or feeding in the 6 months that i have had it. I will test mag in the morning

OP
OP
C

Cmajor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked mag and its at 1320. Shoukd i dose mag to bring it up. Also i use reef crystals salt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back