Is this over the top? Water testing. Show me.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it over the top to be using a magnetic stirrer and stirrer bars? Just to test alkalinity and calcium in my aquariums?
Serious question.
Im no longer a young adult with a young child and crazy lady in the house.
Whats $100 in testing equipment and test kits right?
Prob less....
D

20210523_015743.jpg 20210523_015747.jpg 20210523_015751.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that's over the top. But that's OK.

Testing is important. But the test kits we use just aren't that high a quality level. IMHO the important things are to clean equipment (like test tubes) well and to do the test the same way every time for repeatable results.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not over the top at all, I couldn't go back to the days before my magnetic stirrer.

It's not about accuracy, the stirrer doesn't make the test any more accurate, it's about convenience. Standing there shaking a vial with one hand while using a syringe with the other is way more annoying and tedious than just using the syringe

And the less tedious it is, the more often I'll do the test

Didn't pay 100 for my stirrer though

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say a $600 Trident is over the top.

Wondering if someone on R2R has put together a side-by-side comparison spreadsheet of all the different testing kits/methodologies with price points, accuracy levels, cost/test, tolerances, etc. Then the spreadsheet could be shared on R2R so that the community could add their rating experiences.

Sounds like the next thread for @monkeyCmonkeyDo !!!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is on back order at BRS. It's now on my notification list. Dang you for putting this idea in my head! I hope a fish bites you!
214048-smart_stir_package-1200x1200.jpg
I have a similar one for my tests, and while they are great, if I had to buy one again, I'd go for one like op has, maybe a cheap chinese copy. The small ones don't always work with all vials (salifert nitrate barely does with mine), and the big ones can also be used to mix up dosing solution from powder

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would depend on how often you do the tests. If you use a trident or other automatic water testing equipment (which I think those are over the top.....and I really want one) and rarely do manual tests, then yes I think a stirrer is over the top.
If you are using it regularly and have enough money that $100 isn't that much to you then I don't think it is over the top at all.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar one for my tests, and while they are great, if I had to buy one again, I'd go for one like op has, maybe a cheap chinese copy. The small ones don't always work with all vials (salifert nitrate barely does with mine), and the big ones can also be used to mix up dosing solution from powder
+1 to this. I've posted a few times about the fact that a magnetic stirrer, stir bar, digital scale, and 1L volumetric flasks are extremely convenient to mix your own Ca, Alk and other supplement solutions. Way back in the day, those pieces of kit would have been really, really expensive. But not anymore - maybe $100 for all of the equipment, if that.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Salifert calcium test is trash anyways. Doesn't matter how you run it.

Alk test is fine.

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^k... lol
I hope a fish bites u. Lol!
Yes it is about convienece. The test i can see the color change almost instantly and yes the next drop does the complete color change but i think i could get the same results with out.
Do i have to focus on less. Yes! This is that convienent i can now just focus on the end result of the test and not worry about performing it as much.

Let me clarify
2 salifert cal tests
2 salifert alk tests
1 magnetic stirrer
1 multi pack of stir bars
>$100

Think i paid $30-$40 for the actual stirrer. Lol

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to clean the little stirring magnet that goes into the tube everytime? Is it annoying to get out/put in? Just curious cause Ive thought about getting one as well! Maybe can just leave it in each individual tube like its part of it lol? Might make it hard to clean though.. hmm

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it over the top to be using a magnetic stirrer and stirrer bars? Just to test alkalinity and calcium in my aquariums?
Serious question.
Im no longer a young adult with a young child and crazy lady in the house.
Whats $100 in testing equipment and test kits right?
Prob less....
D

20210523_015743.jpg 20210523_015747.jpg 20210523_015751.jpg
Using a magnet stirrer will help you hit titration endpoints. You might want to add a white piece of plastic to the stir plate top to help with seeing color changes. If you want to achieve even higher accuracy, buy an inexpensive 0.001 g electronic scale to calibrate your syringes, making sure they are delivering the amounts you want. Much of the error in hobby kits is probably because of inconsistent lab practices not the kits themselves.

Check out @Rick Mathew articles on good lab practices

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Magic Meters to read the colors for me in Alk and Phosphorus but I still have to shake them. I think magnetic stirrers is way over the top especially because now you have to wash the spin bar. I can't possibly justify that extra step. i do understand the difficulty of painful limbs and the movement of shaking the vial. You got me thinking that maybe I can find an unemployed server or dancer to help out with the chores here at home?
Cheers Happy Dance GIF by Jackson-Triggs

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back