Is this Pocillopora?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while, pretty sure it is Pocillopora but if someone can confirm.
pocillipora.jpg

Its a tiny little piece that started growing on a frag plug containing a photosynthetic gorg. I must have moved the gorg too much and it closed up and didnt reopen. This thing has been growing steadily though. Started as a single green dot and has turned into a 1/3x1/3" tiny little sps thing. lol

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
look like it, pretty soon going to be everywhere in your tank... :)

OP
OP
twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like a pocillopora, could also be a seriatopora. . . but pocillopora seems more likely. . .

It looks like the 1000 + (exaggeration) that have popped up in my tank.
look like it, pretty soon going to be everywhere in your tank... :)
Yeah thats what I was afraid of...... Guess I should pull it. Its been so long and I couldnt remember all the bits about it.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah thats what I was afraid of...... Guess I should pull it. Its been so long and I couldnt remember all the bits about it.
I don't know, I sort of like them. I took out the colony and have been letting the sprouts do what they want. If I need to get rid of one I break it off. . . that said, I have a small tank so I might be biased. dealing with hundreds of sprouts in like 100 + gallons of water might be a bit much!

OP
OP
twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, I sort of like them. I took out the colony and have been letting the sprouts do what they want. If I need to get rid of one I break it off. . . that said, I have a small tank so I might be biased. dealing with hundreds of sprouts in like 100 + gallons of water might be a bit much!
If I leave it in it does bring my official sps total to 2! lol
I dont think its a bad looking coral. I thought I remembered having it in my 125 sps tank years ago and it spread throughout the tank. It was ok in spots as I couldnt have gotten something else to grow where it had sprouted. In other areas it would start to encroach on other sps and cause issues. I dont think it would win a fight with one of my torches but with a hammer, duncan, or acan it may.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I leave it in it does bring my official sps total to 2! lol
I dont think its a bad looking coral. I thought I remembered having it in my 125 sps tank years ago and it spread throughout the tank. It was ok in spots as I couldnt have gotten something else to grow where it had sprouted. In other areas it would start to encroach on other sps and cause issues. I dont think it would win a fight with one of my torches but with a hammer, duncan, or acan it may.
Here are the ones I know about and does not count the ones I killed:

IMG_1275.jpeg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora are also called Cauliflower Coral. If someday you have a desire to dip it in Ranch Dressing then yes it’s a Pocillopora. Also my Pocillopora has never multiplied like @MoshJosh although I don’t doubt it at all. Possibly a different strain?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like a pocillopora, could also be a seriatopora. . . but pocillopora seems more likely. . .

It looks like the 1000 + (exaggeration) that have popped up in my tank.
Seriatopora has polyps arranged in rows, which this coral does not have.

OP
OP
twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to stick it in the tank with the rfas see how it does. I mean it was first in that tank thats when I noticed it. It has just taken off in this tank probably 10x the size it was in the beginning of February. Thats not saying much at this size but if you saw the tiny little nub it was you'd know.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew this out from a frag and it never multiplied, is it a different strain, or does it need to get to be a certain size before that happens ?

Attachments

• 65E5E9D7-9464-4AF8-ABEC-EA62BE52564B.jpeg
    65E5E9D7-9464-4AF8-ABEC-EA62BE52564B.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1F0EC545-5C87-4B04-9BEC-0FDB3E2543B5.jpeg
    1F0EC545-5C87-4B04-9BEC-0FDB3E2543B5.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 15

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't a guaranteed thing. You still have to provide an environment for it to thrive. Like Xenia or GSP. Is there a risk of it spreading like a wild fire on a windy day? Sure, with a healthy, mature, display without a doubt. I have it and treat it as a good sign when I see new sprouts.

Part of the daily observation routine much like I do with my Wisteria vine. Stay on top of it or it can take over.

TL; DR - I treat it as a sign of a healthy reef - coral spawning. Your mileage may vary though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its been a while, pretty sure it is Pocillopora but if someone can confirm.
pocillipora.jpg

Its a tiny little piece that started growing on a frag plug containing a photosynthetic gorg. I must have moved the gorg too much and it closed up and didnt reopen. This thing has been growing steadily though. Started as a single green dot and has turned into a 1/3x1/3" tiny little sps thing. lol
It is and can spread rapidly although I never had a real problem with it

OP
OP
twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its ok I got a green slimer not green slimer today to take its place. It can spread to its hearts content in the rfa tank. The pocillipora was super fluffy today, I moved it to the other tank and super fluffy a few minutes later again. Might have just taken a bit for it to get happy and start really growing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back