is this pop eye? treatment plan? (purple tang)

audiophile42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a beautiful purple tang from TSM Aquatics last week. Normally I proactively treat with copper power and prazi pro. TSM supposedly does a proactive QT and treatment, but just to be on the safe side I've kept the tang in a QT tank for observation without proactive treatment and was going to treat if anything popped up. It looked fine when it arrived - active swimming and eating mysis. However a couple of days after arrival, I noticed that one of it's eyes was protruding really far out. It was only one eye, and didn't appear to be cloudy or anything. Fish was still swimming and eating. I did have to grab it with a net the day before the swelling showed up, so there's a chance there could have been a trauma or injury. Best pic I could get of it below.

IMG_20200509_191858.jpg

2 days later, the whole eye doesn't look quite as swollen. But it looks like some of the swelling has moved into a small bubble looking thing at the top of it's eye. Other eye still looking normal, no cloudiness. A few pics of what it looks like now:
IMG_20200511_101614.jpg

IMG_20200511_100728.jpg
MVIMG_20200511_100742.jpg

With the eye originally being swollen, I was thinking it was pop eye and was going to maintain good water quality, dose some epsom salt, and maybe treat with ap em erythromycin per some info I found on this forum. But now the eye looks completely different. I guess my question is - with what it looks like now (large protrusion at the top of the eye rather than the whole eye), is this what pop eye healing looks like? Or does this mean it's maybe something else now and I should consider a different course of treatment? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The appearance can vary a bit, especially if it's from an scrape/injury. Dosing plain USP epsom salts usually works well to reduce the swelling. Can de dose a day or two later. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water.
Erythromycin works really well on eye infections. Having some on hand and ready to go is a good move. You don't want the infection to go sideways and have the fish lose an eye.
But you also want to supercharge the fish's immune system to help it heal. Adding vitamins to the fish food really helps. Selcon, Zoecon, vita chem, etc. are all excellent but I prefer Beta Glucan. There are lots of different kinds of BG, here's the one I use, it's algae based:

IMG_2165.jpg

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The appearance can vary a bit, especially if it's from an scrape/injury. Dosing plain USP epsom salts usually works well to reduce the swelling. Can de dose a day or two later. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water.
Erythromycin works really well on eye infections. Having some on hand and ready to go is a good move. You don't want the infection to go sideways and have the fish lose an eye.
But you also want to supercharge the fish's immune system to help it heal. Adding vitamins to the fish food really helps. Selcon, Zoecon, vita chem, etc. are all excellent but I prefer Beta Glucan. There are lots of different kinds of BG, here's the one I use, it's algae based:

IMG_2165.jpg
How often should I dose the epson salt?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Epsom salt bath is hit and miss. I let last two take their course and 6 weeks but it went away on its own. Melafix helps with eye issues as does maracyn

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back