Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16bc0ab97be078333afef5be68bd7dd4.jpg

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on them. My tank had them too. If it's a newer tank, they may just be an ugly phase. I waited mine out. 5 or 6 weeks before the numbers dropped to nearly nothing. After 2 more weeks, I couldn't find them anymore. I haven't seen them in months at this point.

There are different kinds. Acropora eating flatworms (AEFW) are the worrysome kind. Those look like the plain acoel (not sure of the spelling) but read up on them. If you continually see them on your coral, you might have the AEFW kind.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're more than likely red planaria and are more of an eyesore than anything. They can disturb coral though. Coris wrasses and leopard wrasses can be a good tool to eat them. There is also flatworm exit that will work. Just make sure to follow the directions exactly as they say.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^yes^^^. Acoel and red planaria are similar. I didn't want to nuke my tank, although I bought the flatworm exit as a backup plan. I never had to use it though. I have a blue cleaner wrasse but I never saw it even look at a flatworm. Those other wrasses are probably better suited for eating them.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some fun wrasses. Avoid the six line wrasse... My melanarus is probably my most colorful fish... a real stunner. Leopard wrasses are also great if you are able to source some healthy ones and have a well established tank full of pods.

OP
OP
JohnnyTabasco

JohnnyTabasco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some fun wrasses. Avoid the six line wrasse... My melanarus is probably my most colorful fish... a real stunner. Leopard wrasses are also great if you are able to source some healthy ones and have a well established tank full of pods.

Why avoid the six line wrasse?

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like flatworms to me
+1 on the flat worms...just went through it. pain in the rear...I pulled out every rock and coral filled a 55 gallon drum with fresh SW and O.D'ed it with flatworm exit used a power head. waited 1.5 hours then dipped the rocks in rodi then back in tank. gone for now. I have a yellow belly tang I am fond of so I did not want to nuke the tank with fish in it.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My six line is the one of the coolest fish in my tank, my tank would look bore without it....

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank and how long have you had the six line? What other inhabitants are in the tank?
Tank over 1 year old, all the fishes been in tank for 4 months (except the Kole Tang is a month old in my tank, it was in LFS display tank for a year).

Six Line Wrasses
Royal Gamma
Bangai Cardinal
Purple Firefish
Yellow Eyed Kole Tang

I DO NOT plan to add any new fishes into this tank (trust me I hate QT time :p) so I'm done with QT new fishes, for whatever reason any fishes die then that's it I'm not going to replace them with new fish.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second the suggestion of a melanurus (pinstriped) wrasse. I've never had planarians or red bugs, but my melanurus is constantly prowling the rocks and sand for any small tasty creepy crawlies, and on two occasions I've seen him tear into small bristleworms with gusto. I'm sure flatworms would be a treat. They'll also supposedly pick pyram snails off your tridacna clams (fortunately haven't personally experienced those yet either).

Plus, they've got beautiful coloration and markings. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back