Is this Red slime algae?

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m 90% sure I have a small outbreak of red slime going on. Reef is semi new about 4 months, just got over a battle with dinos. Just want to be positive before I move forward with this new battle. Also, any recommendations on best course of action, if this in fact red slime?

sorry for the poor pic quality, it was the best I could do.

A639A8D0-C5D3-428E-A3A0-1B06B4B6A29B.jpeg BF0846B8-1960-438C-8F11-70B22D856551.jpeg 416F927B-0047-424C-A5F8-2C2984385574.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red cyano will blow off the rocks easily with a turkey baster. And, it is common to come on after and during a dino outbreak. So, more than likely cyano.

Stabilizing water parameters will do the most good to control cyano. But, you want to be very careful with just coming out of a dino infestation. Your system is very fragile right now and fast changes are going to bring on bad results. I wouldn't worry too much about the cyano at this time until you give the tank time to equilibrate with its nutrients...and after the dinos have stayed away for awhile. Cyano, even with really bad infestations, can be easy to fix.

OP
OP
K

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red cyano will blow off the rocks easily with a turkey baster. And, it is common to come on after and during a dino outbreak. So, more than likely cyano.

Stabilizing water parameters will do the most good to control cyano. But, you want to be very careful with just coming out of a dino infestation. Your system is very fragile right now and fast changes are going to bring on bad results. I wouldn't worry too much about the cyano at this time until you give the tank time to equilibrate with its nutrients...and after the dinos have stayed away for awhile. Cyano, even with really bad infestations, can be easy to fix.
Ok awesome. Ya I’m just now getting back on a regular feeding schedule after keeping nutrients raised for almost three weeks. Good to hear though, will definitely keep an eye out for anymore growth.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back