is this sponge tissue?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryengoth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2015
Messages
456
Reaction score
212
Location
Wilmington, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another discovery tonight in the wall reef. This rock has been stationary for almost a year now and it looks like it's growing into the back wall. The dark looking matter is actually translucent and like a thick gel. I've felt it under some other rocks but not seen it spread like this in direct light and get coralline encrusting on it. The actual rock structure touching the wall is about 1/2 that mass, like a cone point I used to prop it away from the wall.

xExTydx.jpg
 
It could be a tunicate.
 
I have some kind of mass that keeps adhering to the floor. I finally slid it loose and moved it up to a rock up top. Will see if it likes the surf and sun. The bottom looks like a mass of dusters but the top looks like rock.
 
YTIaly0.jpg


The streak going across is monofilament from the trap. I saw a 1/2" diameter bristle worm that needs to be moved to the sump. LOL

OxPY3Ly.jpg
 
This stuff is growing like mad. I'm afraid it's going to take over my rock! I've seen patches of it on undersides, but when I rotate the rocks it usually disappears once the direct light hits it. I brought in 2 pieces of red tree and one is almost dead but the other has been down behind the rocks on the floor and still looks like it did when I lost it. This stuff has to be from the Fiji live rock I bought when setting the tank up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new