Is this stylo a goner?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nim6us
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nim6us

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 22, 2017
Messages
575
Reaction score
433
Location
UK
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some incident that killed my large birds nest, this purple stylo was next to it and it had some die off as well. I’ve ran some Pur-It and everything in the tank is now looking happy again.

I pruned back the dead bits of the stylo but the base has died down to the skeleton. I snipped off some healthy tips that I can possibly regrow so that’s something. But my question is do you think the remaining stylo can recover or is it past the point of saving?

EA0A98F0-33FE-485E-915B-D424D686A5D9.jpeg
 
You have STN although stylo does suffer from shading quite easily. It is a very tough coral.
Some possible triggers of infection are:
- Alkalinity spike
- Temperature spike
- Salinity spike
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Light intensity
- Changes in water flow
- Addition of new corals
- - Pesticides
- Airborne Contaminants or sprays
 
Thanks for all the great feedback guys, I love this forum! :star-struck:
 
Ya stylos are tough as nails. Bought a bleached out one for $10 when i was first starting my tank not knowing what it was. Nonpurple on it what so ever. Now it is the biggest coral in my tank. Grows as fast as my gsp.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new