Is this the start of hair algae?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is almost through its cycle. Ammonia 0 nitrites finally dropping. Diatoms started about a week ago and now little green tufts.
Thinking of turning the lights back off for a few days so it wont get out of hand. I have an aquaticlife hybrid fixture with kessils and have run only the kessils at 50% for 8 hours with the t5s off. Used 30 lbs of kpaquatics liverock so didnt want to go dark the whole cycle.
20201129_085639.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be the start of gha, I know you said you started with live rock was it dry at all before entering tank?

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be the start of gha, I know you said you started with live rock was it dry at all before entering tank?
47 lbs dry 30 lbs live. Love rock was cured separate before adding to the dry and the lighted were off until liverock added.

Thinking lights off for a few days and a CUC is gonna be in the near future.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cure the dry rock before placing in tank?

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cure the dry rock before placing in tank?
No just cycled in place since it's a new tank. Was probably 2 or 3 weeks ammonia never got above 2. Then the liverock was showing 0 ammonia and nitrites so I moved it over and added prime daily for a few days to speed up the cycle since the dry qasnt cycled yet.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just cycled in place since it's a new tank. Was probably 2 or 3 weeks ammonia never got above 2. Then the liverock was showing 0 ammonia and nitrites so I moved it over and added prime daily for a few days to speed up the cycle since the dry qasnt cycled yet.
Gotcha, I would wait till cycle is finished then add a cuc and they should take care of it! Would suggest a turbo snail or two!

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I would wait till cycle is finished then add a cuc and they should take care of it! Would suggest a turbo snail or two!
Thanks yea cycle is almost done ammonia is 0 nitrites finally qent from off the charts to maybe 1 and nitrates halved fron like 80 to 40. I do use API for cycling purposes so tank it for what it's worth lol.

90 gallon tank wirh about 25 gallons in sump minus rock and sand displacment. Planning on 2 or 3 zebra turbos a few trochus and ceriths and a few astrea. I'm also going to order a package from IPSF in a week or 2 with live and activator and little critters.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back