Is this too much algae? How to treat without causing other issues?

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I think this is green hair algae. I usually do brush the rock once a week to keep it short. I just got more inverts so that will probably help.

My tank is less than 2 months old and I know new tank uglies happen. I am just wondering at what point should I get aggressive with it. I know algeaside treatments exist, but I worry that will lead to an outbreak of something that is harder to treat and less beneficial. What else can I do?

My parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: been 2ppm for 3 weeks or so.
Phosphate: doesn't show up on test or human error
pH: 8. Got a CO2 scrubber to help. When my window is open often, it's 8.2
Alk: 8.7
Ca: 380
Mg: 1280

(Ignore the dirty glass lol. It's just dried salt drips.)

Thank you all!

PXL_20231130_231206510.jpg PXL_20231130_231225785.MP.jpg PXL_20231130_231233309.jpg PXL_20231130_231235428.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what is the very beginning of green algae. Its very normal in a 2 month old tank, there's much more coming. I would do nothing, just keep doing what you are doing.

IMO, it takes at least a year for a tank to stabilize, closer to 2 years I think. Its a long, long haul, so control the nutrients, perform water changes, keep some turbo snails, and provide good flow

OP
OP
C

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what is the very beginning of green algae. Its very normal in a 2 month old tank, there's much more coming. I would do nothing, just keep doing what you are doing.

IMO, it takes at least a year for a tank to stabilize, closer to 2 years I think. Its a long, long haul, so control the nutrients, perform water changes, keep some turbo snails, and provide good flow
It does get longer, but I'm pretty on top of brushing it short so the CUC eat it and it's more visually appealing.

I have avoided turbo snails because I like macroalgae haha, but if I give up on that, I'll get a few in the tank.

I don't mind waiting. I don't hate the algae really. I just don't want it to cause detrimental issues. Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back