Is this ugly as sin or uniquely pretty?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Joined
Apr 30, 2010
Messages
2,379
Reaction score
55
Location
San Diego, California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funky looking Acan I picked up from AquaSD, it's morphed through a variety of pale shades, seems fairly stable now in this mottled pattern. My girlfriend likes it, I can't get beyond calling it interesting-what do you think?

11282010TrollPukeAcan2.jpg


11282010TrollPukeAcan.jpg
 
Not my cup of tea but it is unique and that counts for a lot in this hobby....it's the 'eye of the beholder' and if your gf likes it that's a bonus.
 
It looks damaged..you think it's getting bleached?

Nah, this is it colored up from initial bleaching. When I first picked it up it was not bleached, but such a pale whitish blue that it didn't have much any color at all, looked like a lump of greyish goop that made me think of this dude
oceana-ecard_blobfish.jpg



The colors showing now are about 2~3 months removed from then, plus it's in my low light tank with the chalices. Before I did have it in the high light tank, and though it grew pleanty, it wasn't till the low light tank it got the colors/patterns showing now. I guess I could try for even lower light, but it seems fairly stable now.
 
I like it, though I am constantly accused of liking the less popular items.

I totally agree with Sea MunnKey too, if the spouse likes it you can't beat it!
 
thanks for the opinions, it wasn't a pricey coral, I picked it up when Will/AquaSD was doing a round on ebay so I sort of jumped on it figuring why not see what happens. I will say despite my lack of excitement about it now, i am really curious to see a bigger colony of it as it grows, with the random mottled pattern it could end up really funky, especially if I have it on a sand bed surrounded by some rainbow or pure red Acans
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new