Is this velvet on the clownfish in my LFS?

KM7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

New reefer here, not new to the aquarium hobby as I have multiple FW tanks.

I was visiting a LFS, they have 1 Saltwater tank with random stuff in it.. including some gorgonians.
I purchased a Gorgonian Pinnigorgia frag here few weeks ago.

I returned today to plan ahead looking at possibly buying a Clownfish from here in the future as their prices are not to bad, and see this (photo attached)
Yes, its not a great tank at the store and staff there dont know much about Saltwater, but I wanted a hardy coral to look at and learn from, to put into my 5g quarantine tank where it is now, I change 10-20% water here 2 times a week as its quick with such a small tank, it seems happy.

If this is velvet, could there be any on my coral frag that is in my quarantine tank right now? the only other thing in my QT is a GSP frag that I buy from a local.
If so any advice on how to clear my frag? Or should I just wait many weeks without taking action and leave it be?

Thanks!

Fish1 - Copy.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all!

New reefer here, not new to the aquarium hobby as I have multiple FW tanks.

I was visiting a LFS, they have 1 Saltwater tank with random stuff in it.. including some gorgonians.
I purchased a Gorgonian Pinnigorgia frag here few weeks ago.

I returned today to plan ahead looking at possibly buying a Clownfish from here in the future as their prices are not to bad, and see this (photo attached)
Yes, its not a great tank at the store and staff there dont know much about Saltwater, but I wanted a hardy coral to look at and learn from, to put into my 5g quarantine tank where it is now, I change 10-20% water here 2 times a week as its quick with such a small tank, it seems happy.

If this is velvet, could there be any on my coral frag that is in my quarantine tank right now? the only other thing in my QT is a GSP frag that I buy from a local.
If so any advice on how to clear my frag? Or should I just wait many weeks without taking action and leave it be?

Thanks!

Fish1 - Copy.jpg
These are bacterial lesions or ich but need a side view of fish and a bit closer to best determine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could also be brooklynella. Can you post a video?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back