Is this waterglass okay and how much do I dose?

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dinos and live in NZ. I'm thinking of dosing this waterglass and dosing based on the recommendations in the dino ID thread. Is this an okay one to buy, and how much should I dose?

Many of the other options I've seen are 40 or 41% - this is 39% so not sure how it impacts the dosing given the tiny amount needed.

The water volume is around 420l.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it would be fine to me - if you're concerned about the dose being different, you can compare the difference between what the dose would be if you used 40% to if you used 39% and add enough extra 39% to make up the difference.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like 40% waterglass and you would add 1.2 ml to ro water. Maybe 100 ml and then add to you tank daily.

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing 400 ppb almost daily for a few weeks and it has slowly erased my Ostreopsis outbreak down to almost undetectable!

This would be: 0.4 mg/L * 420 L = 168 mg per dose. At 40%, you have 400 g/L or 400 mg/mL so use 0.42 ml per dose. Best to dilute in some RODI first to lower the pH and reduce Mg precipitation when you add (to the overflow or sump, best!).

I might have calculated mine to add 400 ppb silicate, not total. In this case, it’s about 63% Silicate by molar mass, do you’d dose more like 0.67 ml per dose instead. But try that range.

OP
OP
lmfbs

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing 400 ppb almost daily for a few weeks and it has slowly erased my Ostreopsis outbreak down to almost undetectable!

This would be: 0.4 mg/L * 420 L = 168 mg per dose. At 40%, you have 400 g/L or 400 mg/mL so use 0.42 ml per dose. Best to dilute in some RODI first to lower the pH and reduce Mg precipitation when you add (to the overflow or sump, best!).

I might have calculated mine to add 400 ppb silicate, not total. In this case, it’s about 63% Silicate by molar mass, do you’d dose more like 0.67 ml per dose instead. But try that range.
Thanks, this is crazy helpful, really appreciate it. What do you use to test? I'm guessing a Hanna tester?

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tested. More silicates on the glass ( not a crazy amount) shows it’s working. Also wear gloves and maybe eye protection working with the full strength stuff… pH is like 12!

OP
OP
lmfbs

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there any advantage to dosing via a doser and spreading it out? I have 2 slots free on mine

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back