OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 minute Hydrogen Peroxide bath to kill off surface parasites before starting TTM quarantine protocols for my new baby Diamond Goby. My current Diamond Goby of six years has passed of old age.
H2O2 bath method:

20 ml of 3% H2O2 per 1 gallon of well oxygenated saltwater.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on removing all of my watermelon / striped mushroom corals. Thinking about it now before I actually get it. Here's my rambling...

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When only actinics are left before lights out is when I actually appreciate the large “hairy-neon-toxic” mushrooms in the display. But still need to remove these guys because they’re too prolific in my tank.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally did something on my display.
1) Cleaned my MP40 in a 10 minute HCL bath.
2) Replaced the wet side cage with the LIMPET Wide Flow pump guard. Nice fit. Nice strong build. We’ll see how it works out.
Make sure to wear eye protection when using HCL

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally did something on my display.
1) Cleaned my MP40 in a 10 minute HCL bath.
2) Replaced the wet side cage with the LIMPET Wide Flow pump guard. Nice fit. Nice strong build. We’ll see how it works out.
Make sure to wear eye protection when using HCL

How are you liking the limpet so far?

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the limpet so far?

...actually liking it a lot. It maintains flow great. The Limpet does not seem to hinder flow that much at all. I like that the back side is also protected. I’ve urchins and snails crawl on it. It also has maintained durability eve with HCL cleaning.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My loc-line experiment did not go well. Why I didn’t think about the head pressure of the extra pipe I have no idea. Just excited I suppose . These @vivid_creative_aquatics RFGs need enough flow to actually work. Lesson learned. But these nozzles work great once installed properly.

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...actually liking it a lot. It maintains flow great. The Limpet does not seem to hinder flow that much at all. I like that the back side is also protected. I’ve urchins and snails crawl on it. It also has maintained durability eve with HCL cleaning.

Do you find it gets clogged with debris often or ??? I have run the vortechs without the foam filter for a while but now have some tiny fish and am worried about exposures there. Looking at this as a solution. The foam pads clog in like 2 days.. Like filter socks.. ugh,.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find it gets clogged with debris often or ??? I have run the vortechs without the foam filter for a while but now have some tiny fish and am worried about exposures there. Looking at this as a solution. The foam pads clog in like 2 days.. Like filter socks.. ugh,.

Never clogs. It’s been great.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralamino is a bit mysterious. Especially it’s clear appearance. But this morning I accidentally got the dropper really close to an OR3 actinic and the liquid glowed — reminded me of the RedSea AB energy. Definitely some type of protein in there.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best purchase I made over the Black Friday “pseudo” sales: Hanna pH Marine Checker. Simple to use and fast.

I can’t believe it’s on point with my Apex probe. Rather, can’t believe my Apex pH probe is still tracking well and matched up with this new Hanna Checker

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cadlight 70g is going on five years now. There’s been a ton of challenges over the years — Latest being a pretty nasty Aiptasia outbreak.

691E6B5D-8247-4238-9C4B-23F840DD8789.jpeg

Next project on this system comprises adding some predatory animals to the tank for the Aiptasia. Also, finally adding my extra dosers to the apex for trace elements; And a Kamoere X1 for dosing the AquaForest NP Pro polymer liquid.

7F5951F7-B5D4-4E6F-B357-139E81F44503.jpeg

Biggest regret from 2020 was losing a wonderful copperband. But the loss of that beautiful fish got me to research bacteria and the need to increase my bacterial diversity in hopes of suppressing or predating negative bacterial colonies that affected the copperband.

After a few weeks of reading I got myself to stop using nopox and move to a polymer based carbon source that helps reduce nutrients by increasing biological activity but also makes the bacterial colonies available as food for coral and skimmer. I also started dosing AquaForest’s Pro Bio-S and Fauna Marin’s Bacto-Reef Therapy bacterial additives.

I’m also micro-dosing Brightwell’s Phosphate-E daily. And dosing Coralamino.

With these changes now running for almost 8 months I’ve seen my coral, specifically the acros and montiporas, take off. My clowns started laying eggs. And Aiptasia took a strong hold.

I’ll take 2021 head on. Happy reefing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back