Island Reef Tank Build

FriedReef TV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone Im starting this thread for reccomendations/advice/to track my new reef tank build. Im planning to build a 90 gallon or larger tank with an island type aquascape growing mangroves and other plants in the rocks that are built out of the water. Im trying to make this a budget build does anyone have any reccomendations on tank and lighting, flow, filtration, etc... I want to grow alot of corals mostly softies and lps but some hardy sps as well. I also want to keep 2 tangs and maybe a reef safe puffer? I do know if i had as small as a 90gal it would have to be shallow tank and longer in length in order to house 2 tangs but I do like the idea of a shallow tank because of the island aspect. Im not opposed to a really big tank its honestly just a matter of funds, I already have lights but Id need to buy everything else so Im looking for some budget reccomendations for a system

ReefDuke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone Im starting this thread for reccomendations/advice/to track my new reef tank build. Im planning to build a 90 gallon or larger tank with an island type aquascape growing mangroves and other plants in the rocks that are built out of the water. Im trying to make this a budget build does anyone have any reccomendations on tank and lighting, flow, filtration, etc... I want to grow alot of corals mostly softies and lps but some hardy sps as well. I also want to keep 2 tangs and maybe a reef safe puffer? I do know if i had as small as a 90gal it would have to be shallow tank and longer in length in order to house 2 tangs but I do like the idea of a shallow tank because of the island aspect. Im not opposed to a really big tank its honestly just a matter of funds, I already have lights but Id need to buy everything else so Im looking for some budget reccomendations for a system

look into some of the new waterbox tanks, great value. I personally have a waterbox 100.3 and love it. Good luck with your build

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other plants? How much dry land do you intend to have? Once mangroves get established and grow you may wish to employ bonsai type training to keep them a manageable size and not overgrow what ever lighting you have.

If I was going to attempt an island type tank again, I would build the land section part way outside the tank or in a back sump/refugium.

OP
OP
FriedReef TV

FriedReef TV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other plants? How much dry land do you intend to have? Once mangroves get established and grow you may wish to employ bonsai type training to keep them a manageable size and not overgrow what ever lighting you have.

If I was going to attempt an island type tank again, I would build the land section part way outside the tank or in a back sump/refugium.
Probably just a small portion of rocks protruding from the water right in the center i was thinking of stacking all of the rockwork up almost like a volcano and having mangroves and possibly other saltwater plants growing out of the top

OP
OP
FriedReef TV

FriedReef TV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look into some of the new waterbox tanks, great value. I personally have a waterbox 100.3 and love it. Good luck with your build
i love the way they look but they are still kinda expensive if i could afford it i would definitely make the investment but im still in highschool paying most of my bills myself i work a full time job an juggle with school so funds arent great right now however im not opposed to diy as long as its not like building my own tank i dont trust my build skills to hold 1000 lbs of water and all my money lol

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at the size display you are looking at you will have to be content with a single tang. It's not a matter of length, but also of volume.

Plus, I am not sure there is a "reef-safe" puffer if you plan to have snails and crabs for a CUC, which any puffer sees as food. I so wish that were not true, but it is.

I love the idea of the island and look forward in following your progress. My recommendations if you are on a budget are:
1. Don't skimp on the display. Get something that is solid.
2. If you are handy, DIY can save you loads. There are many great DIY ideas in R2R
3. See if you can get some used equipment, or open box. There are individuals selling their stuff on R2R and local reef clubs can be a great source of used equipment.
4. Identify what you MUST have to get your system started and add more equipment as needed. For example, you might not need to purchase all the lights until you are ready to add corals.

Good luck!

OP
OP
FriedReef TV

FriedReef TV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at the size display you are looking at you will have to be content with a single tang. It's not a matter of length, but also of volume.

Plus, I am not sure there is a "reef-safe" puffer if you plan to have snails and crabs for a CUC, which any puffer sees as food. I so wish that were not true, but it is.

I love the idea of the island and look forward in following your progress. My recommendations if you are on a budget are:
1. Don't skimp on the display. Get something that is solid.
2. If you are handy, DIY can save you loads. There are many great DIY ideas in R2R
3. See if you can get some used equipment, or open box. There are individuals selling their stuff on R2R and local reef clubs can be a great source of used equipment.
4. Identify what you MUST have to get your system started and add more equipment as needed. For example, you might not need to purchase all the lights until you are ready to add corals.

Good luck!
I did lots of research and decided not to mess with puffers as they require extensive quarantine measures and aren't invert safe. I want to keep it minimal with fish, I'm thinking 125g with 2 or 3 chill tangs and a couple of gobies or something. Im pretty good with DIY stuff but Ive never had a sump before so Im somewhat uneducated on plumbing and things of that nature. Right now my current tank is a 40 breeder mixed reef with hang on skimmer and refugium. I've gotten the hang of keeping corals happy but behind on fish knowledge because I focused on coral for so long. My tank is currently fallow my fish have what looks like ich and flukes im starting copper today and prazi or gc after that.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did lots of research and decided not to mess with puffers as they require extensive quarantine measures and aren't invert safe. I want to keep it minimal with fish, I'm thinking 125g with 2 or 3 chill tangs and a couple of gobies or something. Im pretty good with DIY stuff but Ive never had a sump before so Im somewhat uneducated on plumbing and things of that nature. Right now my current tank is a 40 breeder mixed reef with hang on skimmer and refugium. I've gotten the hang of keeping corals happy but behind on fish knowledge because I focused on coral for so long. My tank is currently fallow my fish have what looks like ich and flukes im starting copper today and prazi or gc after that.
Sorry to hear about the problem in your existing tank. I think a 125g with 2-3 tangs is minimal. Get them small, add them together, and then hope and pray that their territorial instincts are not strong.
There is no great trick to plumbing. In the planning phase think about how you'll take it apart when you need to service/fix/replace something and include enough unions and valves to make that easy. When building measure several times before cutting and test fit it all together before gluing. Use primer and glue for the easiest and best fit. Do yourself a favor and get a pre-drilled tank...you can always try drilling another tank later.

OP
OP
FriedReef TV

FriedReef TV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the problem in your existing tank. I think a 125g with 2-3 tangs is minimal. Get them small, add them together, and then hope and pray that their territorial instincts are not strong.
There is no great trick to plumbing. In the planning phase think about how you'll take it apart when you need to service/fix/replace something and include enough unions and valves to make that easy. When building measure several times before cutting and test fit it all together before gluing. Use primer and glue for the easiest and best fit. Do yourself a favor and get a pre-drilled tank...you can always try drilling another tank later.
ok thanks for the advice im starting copper tomorrow praying i dont kill my fish as this is my first time treating. I have a kole tang right now but he is still small and they are slow growers. I will probably do this upgrade in about a year i just want to plan it out thoroughly and make it really good it want this tank to last for 20+years. Maybe i should do a 200g

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back