ISO Economy Powerhead

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for recommendations on a brand of powerhead. These will be used outside the display tank for mixing salt, quarantine tanks, stirring up detritus, frag tank etc. Looking for something over 1000 GPH for under $100. Don’t care about controllability or size, as the won’t be in the display. I am a fan of the cobalt MJ pumps but these are impeller pumps which I use for other purposes, in this instance I am looking for a broad flow propellor style pump.

I used I use koralias for this purpose, but every single one of them leaks a few volts, and now they are starting to trip my GFCI, so they’ve got to go.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only recently set up some Jebao pumps. They are stupid powerful; the pp-20 was around 75 dollars and pushes 5300 gph, the lower volume models are priced accordingly. I had a little bit of noise for a few hours while they broke in, but it is quieter now than my mp-40

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't all maxi-jets come with the mod kit to make it a propeller style pump?

I had one of these, but with the mod on, it was very unreliable. Frequently, the guard would pop off and the impeller would just bounce around in the pump. I threw out the mod kit and went back to the standard flow nozzle and impeller. It moves less flow, but it doesn't shake itself apart like the old one did.

Personally, I would choose a Koralia or a Jebao. If you want a bit more certainty and a bit more longevity, the Koralia might be a better choice. If you're willing to roll the dice and maybe replace the Jebao in a few years, that's a good option too (it's worth noting that both my PP4s and Jebao returns are coming up on the 2 year mark with no issues yet).

Also as an aside, most pumps, AC or DC, will generate some induced AC voltage in the water. It's not necessarily a sign that there's something wrong with the pump. Tripping GFCI usually is a problem and means current is going where it's not supposed to. But some voltage in saltwater with running equipment is to be expected (unless you have a ground probe, which is a good idea).

Last edited:

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of these, but with the mod on, it was very unreliable. Frequently, the guard would pop off and the impeller would just bounce around in the pump. I threw out the mod kit and went back to the standard flow nozzle and impeller. It moves less flow, but it doesn't shake itself apart like the old one did.

Personally, I would choose a Koralia or a Jebao. If you want a bit more certainty and a bit more longevity, the Koralia might be a better choice. If you're willing to roll the dice and maybe replace the Jebao in a few years, that's a good option too (it's worth noting that both my PP4s and Jebao returns are coming up on the 2 year mark with no issues yet).

Also as an aside, most pumps, AC or DC, will generate some induced AC voltage in the water. It's not necessarily a sign that there's something wrong with the pump. Tripping GFCI usually is a problem and means current is going where it's not supposed to. But some voltage in saltwater with running equipment is to be expected (unless you have a ground probe, which is a good idea).
Maybe I got mine before the company sold because I've had zero issues in the 5 years it's been running. I'm glad to hear another persons experience though so I won't make the mistake of purchasing a second one should the need ever arise.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back