Isolating salinity probe?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
->Isolating from bubbles<-

I know there's a ton of info stating that there has to be absolutely no bubble build up on a salinity probe. However aside from mount it in a bubble free* area of the sump I haven't really see a solution.

Has anyone finally found an alternative solution?

I was thinking about fully encasing in a block of aquarium foam/sponge. See poorly drawn cross section.
images (8).jpeg

*I do not have a bubble free area of my sump anywhere due to its compact design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the sponge may throw the reading off. As long as a good portion of it’s submerged you should be fine.
That seems to be contrary to popular experience. Is that the way it's working for your salinity probe?

Do you have it in a chamber section thats exposed to some amount of bubbles/turbulence?

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried this solution so can't say if it works or not but VCA makes a device which is supposed to help stabilize readings from the salinity probe

SPS Kit – The Salinity Probe Stability Kit
Very cool makes sense pretty much just blowing the air bubbles off/away from it.

VCA, EBay don't ship to me, SW aquarium says pre-order? But at least they ship to me and free ship to boot.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit trying to make a useless probe, even more useless by adding useless stuff to it. Throw the probe in the garbage, and just check with a refractometer once a week.

In 20+ years in the hobby, I have never NEEDED an instant read on salinity. Good quality ATO, and weekly checks is all thats needed.

Neptune should really stop selling those garbage probes, and us as consumers should really stop buying them.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit trying to make a useless probe, even more useless by adding useless stuff to it. Throw the probe in the garbage, and just check with a refractometer once a week.

In 20+ years in the hobby, I have never NEEDED an instant read on salinity. Good quality ATO, and weekly checks is all thats needed.

Neptune should really stop selling those garbage probes, and us as consumers should really stop buying them.
It's a back stop for me to help determine if my ATO has over reacted or if I've sprung a leak in my system somewhere the leak detectors don't pick it up

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have no issues with mine reading properly. So it is not garbage in my opinion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back