Isolation Box - Knowing what to do when aggression is shown

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been torn on what to do as it is the first time I actually have seen this aggression shown by a wrasse (which supposed to be peaceful) to a new arrival - valvet wrasse. The video was taken the day I put the acclimation box into my aquarium. It has quickly became an isolation box when I saw this behavior from an orange back wrasse. I tried to figure a way to catch the orange back so I can move to my frag tank - unfortunately I had no luck and it is now going on the 4th day the valvet wrasse is in the acclimation box and the good news is the aggression is no longer there - is it possible that once in the tank the orange back will not bother it... just don't know if anyone have seen this and then released a fish that worked out fine.

Also, I don't know 100% but this orange back may have killed a mystery wrasse. I noticed it picking on it a few times, and have not seen the mystery wrasse :-( that's another concern if this fish will harass all my new fish I put in the tank. What's funny here is that I actually am trying to follow the concept of introducing peaceful fish first and then the more aggressive ones.

Thanks!

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses can be aggressive when guarding a food source. I don’t see any hiding places for either. That might lead to stress b how old is the tank? Would you consider adding some live rock?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any aggression in that video, just some inquisitive behavior.

if it was aggression, you would see the fish flare up, and actively attacking the box.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back