Isopod under microscope

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day, I found the algae in my ATS with a lot of small critters. They were all over the algae. It was quite interesting since it wasn't like this before and these guys weren't easy to find inside the display tank.
IMG_20230821_100626.jpg

I caught a couple of them when I was harvesting the algae and took a look under my microscope. (10x & 4x lenses so 40x magnification I think?)From what I can tell, it looks like isopods. I think these are a type of what's commonly known as munnid isopods in this hobby. In the second pic below, it looks like it's been eating some brown stuff.
IMG_20230822_100035.jpg

IMG_20230822_100329.jpg

IMG_20230822_100729.jpg

As with most creatures in this hobby, there seem to be millions of different kinds of isopods so it's hard to find any info on them but does anyone know anything about these guys or the isopods found in reef tanks in general? I'm not worried or anything since I don't have any corals or fish and these isopods don't seem to be parasitic to my other inverts but I'm curious to know more about them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back