Iso's 20g Long

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting this now, going to add the pics as the tank progresses, its boring at the moment but hopefully in a few months I'll have things rolling.

These first photos show a couple different HOB filters. I went through 3! I mean it three before one wasn't a dud. At first I thought it was something I was doing but the one I have now (AquaClear 30) is working just fine. I like it better anyways :)

I have a small damsel (striped) in the tank to help the cycle. I used 1 bag of live sand from a LFS and reef crystals to start. I am using tap water to fill it the first time but I'll be using RO/DI premixed (from LFS) for changes and everything else from here on out.

I also don't have any rock yet but I plan on doing a nice looking aqua scape with some dry rock, then seed with live and dose so it will grown quickly.

Here is what I have so far....I plan to do mainly LPS, an anemone and a pair of clowns (thinking snowflake or maybe black haven't decided yet!)

Ill keep the photos current with changes, also sorry for photo quality, don't have the bank roll for a nice camera but once quality becomes more of an issue (fish/coral) Ill snag my sisters which is much nicer.

DSCN0647.jpg

DSCN0645.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

DSCN0649.jpg

DSCN0651.jpg

DSCN0673-1.jpg

Thats it so far, the damsel is doing good. I plan to buy a heater, and building something to mount these 2x 2 bulb T5's I have....until then.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin' good! Lookin' forward to what you come up with!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what lighting will you have for the nem? how about looking into Blacker Ice for a clown pair. best of both worlds.. SnowFlake patterns and Darwin colors as they mature. :)

OP
OP
Isoprene

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blacker Ice clowns are amazing!! I didn't even know they existed! Are they normally expensive and where would be a good place to order some if anyone dosent mind throwing that info out there?

For the anemone I plan on running 4 T5 bulbs HO, 2 blue 2 white, Maybe 1 Blue 1 Purple 2 White. I am also adding a LED strip from Ecoxotic (blue. Do you guys think this will be enough? Also I plan to add two power heads to get some more GPH flow rolling.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blacker Ice clowns are amazing!! I didn't even know they existed! Are they normally expensive and where would be a good place to order some if anyone dosent mind throwing that info out there?

For the anemone I plan on running 4 T5 bulbs HO, 2 blue 2 white, Maybe 1 Blue 1 Purple 2 White. I am also adding a LED strip from Ecoxotic (blue. Do you guys think this will be enough? Also I plan to add two power heads to get some more GPH flow rolling.
be careful with PW and nems. they don't normally go good together esp in a smaller tank. I think your lighting should be enough to keep nems happy. as for Blacker Ice... you can ask our sponsors that deal with clowns. good luck. :)

OP
OP
Isoprene

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you suggest I do for flow then? Im brand new to anemones, ive never owned any at all, I want a purple one tho, that im set on. A LTA definatley purple. Is their anemone safe power heads that dont cost an arm and a leg?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a foam sleeve for the power head. You can use the foam that is used in filters and sew the ends with fishing line. Some people even use pantyhose.

OP
OP
Isoprene

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the clown host a frogspawn or a torch? Im worried now about chopping one up, ive been reading about it.

OP
OP
Isoprene

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a small but hopefully good update, added a Koralia power head. I made some small modifications, let me know if you guys think this will keep it anemone safe or not. Its very very fine plastic mesh, i dont know the exact measurements but I know the smallest zip ties barley fit through the holes.

DSCN0676.jpg

DSCN0677.jpg

DSCN0678.jpg

DSCN0679.jpg

DSCN0681.jpg

Also wondering if you all think this is clean enough looking for whats eventually going to be a walk in the front door and see this display tank?

OP
OP
Isoprene

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCN0683.jpg

DSCN0684.jpg

DSCN0685.jpg

DSCN0687.jpg

DSCN0696.jpg

DSCN0699.jpg

DSCN0700.jpg

The goal was to make a tree looking structure, let me know what you guys think. Did it all myself, first time drilling DR and putting in acrylic posts (which I also cut myself) Used methylene chloride to bond it together. I also used loctite superglue gel as well as an epoxy which I called the manufacturer to make sure it was safe to use for fish/coral ect...it was. I used 3 pieces of rocks, the top one, side one, and the leg its self. I guess now time will only tell if its will hold together "fingers crossed!"

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back