Issue with Wrasse

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Looking for some guidance. I currently have a Wrasse in QT with a Royal Gramma. The QT is 10g and they have been in there since last Saturday (13 days). I'm observing them and have not performed any treatments. The Wrasse ate yesterday, but today he did not come out when I fed. He was hiding behind the HOB, pointed towards the surface. He had eaten fine all days prior. I'm not sure if he has something or if he has become stressed from the Royal Gramma. I have observed the Royal Gramma chase him away a few times during feeding or if close to the Royal Gramma's hiding spot. Here are some photos, the Royal Gramma is eating and not showing signs of anything.

Thank you for any input.

190620_Wrasse_03.jpg

190620_Wrasse_02.jpg

190620_Wrasse_01.jpg

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more info, right now he is on the sand bed but pointing straight up. Seams like he can't stay righted. At one point he was laying on his side.

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish didn't make it trough the night. Found him floating upside down on the bottom this morning.

Any ideas?

Should I treat the QT with anything with the Royal Gramma in there? Who appears to be doing fine.

Thank you

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your fish, it would probably be a good idea to check for flukes by doing a freshwater dip, did notice anything else like white stringy poop?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/
Thank you,

Didn't think of that. The fish is gone, had to leave for work. I did not notice any white stringy poop. I did take this photo however. I wasn't sure what these bumps might be? Is it something or just mucus?

190621_Wrasse_02.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say the fish couldn’t swim properly and was pointed up — did it swim about as if a sinker was tied to its tail?

If so this would indicate a likely spinal injury, something unfortunately common in wrasse and more common than not also fatal depending on severity. It’s caused by spooked wrasse leaping hard in to a hard lid or farting in to a rock or glass. It’s also been documented to be uronema around the spinal column in an autopsy by @Humblefish.

A freshwater dip to check for flukes is a great idea to rule it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say the fish couldn’t swim properly and was pointed up — did it swim about as if a sinker was tied to its tail?

If so this would indicate a spinal injury, something unfortunately common in wrasse and more common than not also fatal depending on severity. It’s caused by spooked wrasse leaping hard in to a hard lid or farting in to a rock or glass. It’s also been documented to be uronema around the spinal column in an autopsy by @Humblefish.

A freshwater dip to check for flukes is a great idea to rule it out.
At that point he wasn't doing much swimming. But yes, he was completely vertical like a sinker was on his tail.

I can give the Royal Gramma a FW dip to check for flukes.

Thank you

Back