It has begun!

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, folks!

I've recently decided to swap my 60 gallon freshwater tank to salt. My current "end" goal is to eventually get a Mandarin Goby (I've done tons of homework), along with some other fish and coral that are appropriate for a tank of that size. Since they're such picky eaters, though, I don't expect to see that Mandarin in my tank any time soon. (2019, I'm looking at you)

Here's my game plan, and a few pics of where I'm currently at.

The first thing I need to do is get my tank nitrates under control, and then get my last 2 silver dollars to my LFS. I'm just doing frequent water changes until my test show better levels.

After that I need to build a new stand. The whole family will help with it, and it will be a fun DIY side project. I'll be sure to post pictures as it develops.

After that, the next step will be to get a Somatic 90 skimmer and sump combo. I'm pretty sold on this option, and it's one of the few pieces of hardware I've already decided on. Beyond that, I'm not sure what hardware I'll be getting. I'll pretty much need everything, though.

20180621_063100.jpg

Here's a better shot of the beautiful paint job my wife did on our current stand. She did the left side, and my old neighbor helped with the right.

20180621_063235.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

You can always start a build thread in the member tanks section so we can all follow your progress!

Mandy's are difficult to keep as you mentioned. Pods pods pods! You will want tmake sure you have a good population of them to be successful just FYI!

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

You can always start a build thread in the member tanks section so we can all follow your progress!

Mandy's are difficult to keep as you mentioned. Pods pods pods! You will want tmake sure you have a good population of them to be successful just FYI!

Oh! That's a good idea. Is there a way I can move this thread or request an admin does it for me?

Also, yeah, a healthy copepod population is going to be gauge for when I get the Goby. I'm all about happy pets, and you can tell those Goby's LOVE to hunt. I promise I'll be careful before I just pick one up. I've got plenty of patience for between now and then. :)

My first fish I ever bought was a snowflake moray, and the place didn't even bother to tell me about brackish water. I panicked when I could tell it wasn't happy, but back then my resources were very limited. Long story short, I figured it out and that eel lived for about 4 years. Nowadays I don't just measure success by "did I kill it?", but my resources are also a heck of a lot better.

I appreciate the tales of caution. Everything I can learn from others are struggles my fish may not have to suffer.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! That's a good idea. Is there a way I can move this thread or request an admin does it for me?

Also, yeah, a healthy copepod population is going to be gauge for when I get the Goby. I'm all about happy pets, and you can tell those Goby's LOVE to hunt. I promise I'll be careful before I just pick one up. I've got plenty of patience for between now and then. :)

My first fish I ever bought was a snowflake moray, and the place didn't even bother to tell me about brackish water. I panicked when I could tell it wasn't happy, but back then my resources were very limited. Long story short, I figured it out and that eel lived for about 4 years. Nowadays I don't just measure success by "did I kill it?", but my resources are also a heck of a lot better.

I appreciate the tales of caution. Everything I can learn from others are struggles my fish may not have to suffer.

Yes this is the best forum I have ever belonged to. So many people willing to help and share! It's helped me tremendously!

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef! You have a great resource here for answers and options to any question that might come up so be sure to use it. Looking forward to your tank build thread.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is the best forum I have ever belonged to. So many people willing to help and share! It's helped me tremendously!

Also, just start a thread regarding your build. You out this one in the right place to ask questions.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at with your tank... Is that 2 tanks joined with 2 tubes or are my eyes playing tricks on me? If thats what it is, I think it would be cool to do a reef on one side and some of the beautiful colorful macro algae on the other.

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at with your tank... Is that 2 tanks joined with 2 tubes or are my eyes playing tricks on me? If thats what it is, I think it would be cool to do a reef on one side and some of the beautiful colorful macro algae on the other.

Hello, Maggie

That's exactly what it is! It's essentially 2 thirty gallon tanks connected by 2 tubes. Most fish that would be in a 60 can fit easily between the tubes, but I've seen angels that would be a tight squeeze.

I didn't think about macro algae, to be honest. It does sounds interesting, and I'll take a look into it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back