It looks like the trunk on this hammer is being eaten away.

BrandoCommando

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what could cause this? I do have keyhole limpets in the tank.
decayhammer.jpg

OP
OP
BrandoCommando

BrandoCommando

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another hammer in a different tank is experiencing similar stuff. So strange.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any urchins? They like coralline algae so if thats low in quantity could be munching on skeletons. Not so sure on limpets. Intrested to see what your alk and calc are.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this sort of thing a few times before (there have a been a couple of instances recently) with a few different Euphyllia species, but nobody seems to be quite sure what causes it.

One person recently found a small mollusk (likely either a chiton or a limpet; I'm leaning toward chiton) on their torch that was having this problem, but it's extremely unlikely this damage was caused by it - others (like in the third link below) have reported worms or worm-like critters doing this damage, but I can't confirm if that's accurate. The damage is noticeably different than flatworm damage, and nothing comes off when dipped (dips don't seem to help at all from what I can find), but it's possible there are worms hidden in/around the coral doing this damage - I just don't know of any species that could or would do this at the moment.

Other speculation includes damage from other inverts (though there's a fair deal of debate as to whether they're the cause of the issue or just opportunistically feeding on something produced by the injured coral); damage from fish; or some sort of parameter issue (most people say issues with Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium - some also include pH, IIRC) causing the skeleton to become super soft/fragile and to break from minor things/be preyed upon or damaged by things that normally wouldn't bother corals. Of those speculated causes, the parameter issue is the only one that seems really plausible to me, as not all of the tanks with this issue have had the same (known) inverts/fish in them.

This has happened to single torches in tanks with multiple torches in them (i.e. one torch is affected while the rest are fine), so it's possible something is damaging these specific torches for some reason, but - if that's the case - I don't know what (creature, disease, etc.) or why. This also has happened in one tank for some people, then stopped when they upgraded/changed tanks.

The one with the mollusk:
Another one from 15 years ago:
Now a whole bunch from more recently:
And one with a frogspawn for good measure:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back