OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Sounds like you really have a grasp on everything! :) I LOVE my little 13.5, so you won't hear any complaints from me. lol

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the sponge filter. I recently did a big clean of everything, and needless to say... I went on Amazon and bought the InTank filter basket. I had my suspicions about the sponge filter from the beginning. It's almost like one half of it was filthy and the other was untouched. Hopefully I'll have better water movement with the InTank basket! :)
Okay good, you're my new tank buddy! I was worrisome buying this tank because it seemed like a lot of videos were published reviewing this tank but gave me that "they're getting paid for this" vibes. So hopefully you don't mind if I message you once in a while to swap notes, haha. How long have you had yours? Is it all stock except for the InTank basket? How long did you use the stock sponge filter before switching, and did you also switch to a different material to put in the basket rather than the fluval brand? Also, did you add the protein skimmer? I've read a lot of like conflicting opinions but I decided to just go ahead and get it because it can't hurt, right? haha

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good, you're my new tank buddy! I was worrisome buying this tank because it seemed like a lot of videos were published reviewing this tank but gave me that "they're getting paid for this" vibes. So hopefully you don't mind if I message you once in a while to swap notes, haha. How long have you had yours? Is it all stock except for the InTank basket? How long did you use the stock sponge filter before switching, and did you also switch to a different material to put in the basket rather than the fluval brand? Also, did you add the protein skimmer? I've read a lot of like conflicting opinions but I decided to just go ahead and get it because it can't hurt, right? haha
TANK BUDDY! :p

I've had it set up for over a month and a half. Everything I have in the tank is the Fluval brand! I have their protein skimmer, the powerhead, the light that came with the kit, and a fluval heater, too. So I think i just took out the sponge filter yesterday because I wanted to wait to set up that beneficial bacteria colony, and I was not impressed. It did it's job for the most part - the media was gross (the biomax and the carbon), but I feel like the water doesn't really flow through it that well. I plan to keep using that type, though. I've thought about making my own little biomax and carbon bags, but it'll probably be easier for me just to buy the premade bags since I have a toddler that likes to get into EVERYTHING.

I did add the protein skimmer. It started pulling some nasty stuff around day five or six. I keep the bubbling right at the bottom of the collection chamber, and they're pea-sized bubbles. I would for sure add it if you plan on getting fish. It definitely can't hurt!

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BB873981-26CD-49D1-A6CF-774D9F46027C.jpeg

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the test kits, would I need every single parameter they can possibly check for or is there a select few that should be enough? Also like I mentioned in a separate reply, is there a test kit that can get me off the ground without a larger investment or should I just make sure to take the plunge on the right stuff before I even begin the tank?
Personally, I started with alkalinity, calcium, and phosphate from hanna. It’s worth the plunge in my opinion... The calcium hanna checker can be hard to get right but if you look up a youtube video and do it step by step, it’ll become muscle memory and a lot more accurate. Then I got AquaForest Magnesium, Nyos for nitrate and Salifert for nitrite and ammonia. I also highly suggest a refractometer over a hydrometer, it’s much more accurate :D

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and just started transferring everything out to my 25g lagoon.
First thing....ditch that foam block and get the intank basket. I use floss/chemipure blue and purigen.
I see no need for a skimmer with regular water changes and haven't used one so I use it in chamber 1.
Plug the hole in the wall that comes with the intank kit.
The stock pump kinda sucks. The Tunze pump is a popular and nearly silent option that has great flow.
I would wait on the light. I grew LPS and softies with no issues. The cheap NiCrew timer works great. You can add some supplemental blue in the 450nm range for about $20 off ebay tied into the dual channel NiCrew timer that was like $15.

What are you doing for rock?

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK BUDDY! :p

I've had it set up for over a month and a half. Everything I have in the tank is the Fluval brand! I have their protein skimmer, the powerhead, the light that came with the kit, and a fluval heater, too. So I think i just took out the sponge filter yesterday because I wanted to wait to set up that beneficial bacteria colony, and I was not impressed. It did it's job for the most part - the media was gross (the biomax and the carbon), but I feel like the water doesn't really flow through it that well. I plan to keep using that type, though. I've thought about making my own little biomax and carbon bags, but it'll probably be easier for me just to buy the premade bags since I have a toddler that likes to get into EVERYTHING.

I did add the protein skimmer. It started pulling some nasty stuff around day five or six. I keep the bubbling right at the bottom of the collection chamber, and they're pea-sized bubbles. I would for sure add it if you plan on getting fish. It definitely can't hurt!
Okay, I'm very happy we have almost identical setups because I'll need as much help to start this as possible. Just patiently waiting for everything to get delivered :p
So basically don't have high expectations for the sponge filter and make a plan to replace it. I think I'll probably use it until I have a set idea of what I'm going to replace it with and the media, def the InTank one though. I'm also a bit intrigued on developing a way of not using a supplemental biomax media but I feel like that'll be down the road once I think I've got a hang of the basics, haha.
&& The tank looks beautiful! Did you use the same sand that I mentioned in my list? Where did you get your rock? Hows your coral doing? Also I see a few clowns! Do you plan on adding more critters?

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I started with alkalinity, calcium, and phosphate from hanna. It’s worth the plunge in my opinion... The calcium hanna checker can be hard to get right but if you look up a youtube video and do it step by step, it’ll become muscle memory and a lot more accurate. Then I got AquaForest Magnesium, Nyos for nitrate and Salifert for nitrite and ammonia. I also highly suggest a refractometer over a hydrometer, it’s much more accurate :D
I'll start looking into all these different water test kits immediately, definitely seems like I need to get that sorted as soon as I start. I definitely got the refractometer, hopefully I didn't say hydrometer anywhere because I already read that they suck, haha.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
L
Hello everyone!

I am brand new here, just signed up a few moments ago and I'm hoping to get a lot of knowledge from this forum on my new adventure! I'm an avid gardener and someone who loves all creatures, and with being a permanent work-from-home employee, I thought the idea of taking on a reef tank would be a great new hobby. I've shuffled through the internet doing the best research I could to get a decent understanding of how a reef tank works, from the setup to cycling period to maintenance to stock. My head could probably explode from all the information. I did notice a lot of it is based on opinions but you never know if some of these outlets are getting affiliate perks to mention certain products or voice specific opinions so I thought joining a forum would help ween that out.
SO, I have decided to start off with the Fluval Evo 13.5G AIO system. I already saw people bashing it here and there but for myself personally, I'd like to start with a smaller tank where I can feel out this hobby with a somewhat lower cost before I'm like OK TIME TO UPGRADE! I plan on keeping it fairly stock, unless there is some additional stuff I can add that won't kill my wallet. Specifically the light, that's gonna have to stay for now unless I can add some extra to it without major $$. No AI Prime yet. This is the rundown of the stuff I was purchasing for this reef tank and hopefully someone will have some insight to tell me if these are decent items to start with.
Fluval Evo 13.5G AIO Tank
A RO/DI 50 GPD unit
Fluval Sea CP2 Circulation Pump
Fluval M50 Submersible Heater
Fluval Sea Mini Protein Skimmer
Instant Ocean Sea Salt (I've seen better for similar cost but not readily available nearby)
CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand

Those are the items I've come up with so far, amongst the basic things like a fish net, a siphon, water test kit, refractometer, thermometer, algae cleaner magnet, hikachi fish food, mysis shrimp, and a few other things. Any suggestions on things I could change or add to make this a successful adventure would be phenomenal. I'm planning on putting this setup on an Ikea BRIMNES cabinet with a countertop on it, and I'm going to rip out the interior and reinforce it with a 2x4 frame for extra stability. I also can't add a bunch of extra upgrade that need a bunch of electricity as I only have one outlet for this whole thing, haha. Hopefully once I get all of the items and get this set up, I can get additional feedback as time goes on to help build a really healthy reef with recommendations of the stock to add, maybe some lps corals, cleaner fish/shrimp/snails, anemone, etc.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations, suggestions and all helpful tips!

Love my fluval! Don't listen to the haters.

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm very happy we have almost identical setups because I'll need as much help to start this as possible. Just patiently waiting for everything to get delivered :p
So basically don't have high expectations for the sponge filter and make a plan to replace it. I think I'll probably use it until I have a set idea of what I'm going to replace it with and the media, def the InTank one though. I'm also a bit intrigued on developing a way of not using a supplemental biomax media but I feel like that'll be down the road once I think I've got a hang of the basics, haha.
&& The tank looks beautiful! Did you use the same sand that I mentioned in my list? Where did you get your rock? Hows your coral doing? Also I see a few clowns! Do you plan on adding more critters?
YAY! :D

I also want to look into different media besides the biomax. The only reason I'm drawn to it is because of the porous surface. (I geeked out and watched Bulk Reef Supply's 52 Weeks of Reefing videos- they say things with a lot of surface area create a better biological filter, and it makes sense. More room for beneficial bacteria to grow on). But I'm leaning towards some filter floss, or there's some cool looking green stuff that I've been seeing people put in these baskets.

The sandbed is a mix of CaribSea's oolite and some Aragonite. I got the rock from Petco, which is CaribSea as well. It's a "LifeRock" if I'm not mistaken- so like... a man-made rock that's painted and sprayed with some beneficial bacteria that'll take flight once it's in saltwater and has a chance to cycle too! :)

My coral seem happy! They're all open and colorful! I'm a sucker for clowns. I think they're the cutest. I started with one, waited a bit and added the second. I caught the smaller one of the two (I think he's the male) doing "the dance"- so I think he has a crush on the female. :D I have a few snails, but I think I'll stop it at that. With it being a 13.5, I'm afraid of overloading it with fish.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and just started transferring everything out to my 25g lagoon.
First thing....ditch that foam block and get the intank basket. I use floss/chemipure blue and purigen.
I see no need for a skimmer with regular water changes and haven't used one so I use it in chamber 1.
Plug the hole in the wall that comes with the intank kit.
The stock pump kinda sucks. The Tunze pump is a popular and nearly silent option that has great flow.
I would wait on the light. I grew LPS and softies with no issues. The cheap NiCrew timer works great. You can add some supplemental blue in the 450nm range for about $20 off ebay tied into the dual channel NiCrew timer that was like $15.

What are you doing for rock?
ANOTHER TANK BUDDY!
So it seems like the consensus is the sponge sucks so plan to change it asap, did you notice a difference between using the fluval brand media and changing over to chemipure and purigen?
Since I already ordered the skimmer, maybe I'll just have super clean water who knows, haha.
Which tunze pump did you get for this particular tank? I'm guessing you're talking about the actual pump and not the powerhead. What LPS and softies were you able to grow? I was hoping to get like one or two coral and an anemone to thrive. I'll have to see how the stock light does before adding stuff on but I'm making lists of all recommended stuff. Currently I plan on having a reminder/timer that will remind me when to turn on the lights but I feel like a built-in timer of some sort will end up happening, haha. Speaking of lighting, what is a good schedule for having the white on, then blue, then off? I haven't gotten that far yet.

I've been doing separate research for rocks but I haven't found any specific opinions. Obviously cost effective would be great, and I'd prefer something that is live. I was also going to check a local fish store to see what they have and/or recommend.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get salifert right off rip. Magnesium, calcium, ph, nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity
You don't really need anything but nitrate until you get corals, so you have some time.
Okay, so once I've added like the water, sand and rock, I should be okay to just check nitrates? I'll have the refractometer to check salinity but I kinda want to know what I should be testing for before adding the fish. Then start testing more for when I want to add corals, etc.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY! :D

I also want to look into different media besides the biomax. The only reason I'm drawn to it is because of the porous surface. (I geeked out and watched Bulk Reef Supply's 52 Weeks of Reefing videos- they say things with a lot of surface area create a better biological filter, and it makes sense. More room for beneficial bacteria to grow on). But I'm leaning towards some filter floss, or there's some cool looking green stuff that I've been seeing people put in these baskets.

The sandbed is a mix of CaribSea's oolite and some Aragonite. I got the rock from Petco, which is CaribSea as well. It's a "LifeRock" if I'm not mistaken- so like... a man-made rock that's painted and sprayed with some beneficial bacteria that'll take flight once it's in saltwater and has a chance to cycle too! :)

My coral seem happy! They're all open and colorful! I'm a sucker for clowns. I think they're the cutest. I started with one, waited a bit and added the second. I caught the smaller one of the two (I think he's the male) doing "the dance"- so I think he has a crush on the female. :D I have a few snails, but I think I'll stop it at that. With it being a 13.5, I'm afraid of overloading it with fish.
Oh gosh the amount of videos I've been watching, my head could explodeeee. I'm definitely considering different media before even receiving the tank haha but I think I'll use it for the first month or so just to use what was basically "free". Once you figure out what that cool looking green stuff is, let me know!
It looks like we're both on pretty much the same path with the sandbed, which thankfully is easy to find. Is there a reason why you went with a man-made rock instead of live rock? I've been contemplating both options.

What coral do you have? I definitely think I want a pair of clowns, probably will get them as a pair starting out. I'm not sure what amount would be considered overloading which maybe someone can give a little insight on that. Hopefully I'm not asking way too many questions!

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh the amount of videos I've been watching, my head could explodeeee. I'm definitely considering different media before even receiving the tank haha but I think I'll use it for the first month or so just to use what was basically "free". Once you figure out what that cool looking green stuff is, let me know!
It looks like we're both on pretty much the same path with the sandbed, which thankfully is easy to find. Is there a reason why you went with a man-made rock instead of live rock? I've been contemplating both options.

What coral do you have? I definitely think I want a pair of clowns, probably will get them as a pair starting out. I'm not sure what amount would be considered overloading which maybe someone can give a little insight on that. Hopefully I'm not asking way too many questions!
Never such a thing as too many questions!

That's exactly what I did! Used the stuff that came with the tank, and now I'm just experimenting with things that I find/research. I have my own little thread that I've been updating too!

So with the rock... I have a 30 gallon Innovative Marine that's been up for about four years. When I started that tank, I put in some live rock from my local fish store mixed with some old rock from a broken down tank. And when I say the diatoms (that brown, ugly algae) were TERRIBLE, I almost considered tearing it all down and starting over. But I gave it time and it eventually went away.

And on top of that, my very first tank ever was a Fluval 5 gallon. I did the man-made rock and when I say my tank thrived, it THRIVED. It was beautiful. Hardly any diatoms, a short cycle, coral did amazing - I wish we never moved so I wouldn't have broken it down.

So I have five Acans. I put them all together in a little garden area in the corner of the tank. They seem to love a medium flow/light combo.

green hammer coral that loves the flow as well.

green star poylp.

'darth maul' favia. (HOW COULD I NOT WHEN IT'S NAMED THAT, RIGHT?!) and a 'graffiti' favia

leather coral

carpet anemone

ragin cajun echinata (geaux cajuns)

some ricordea mushrooms

:p

Last edited:

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start looking into all these different water test kits immediately, definitely seems like I need to get that sorted as soon as I start. I definitely got the refractometer, hopefully I didn't say hydrometer anywhere because I already read that they suck, haha.
For your cycle, all you need is a good ammonia, nitrate and nitrite kit! in the coming weeks after the cycle, you can start getting the others!

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the optimism, haha! I did a decent amount of research before officially telling myself "we're gonna do this" so hopefully that will help with longterm success. I'm not expecting anything major from this size tank but hopefully a few good fish and some interesting stuff to look at. For the ATO unit, do you have a particular one in mind? I'm trying to keep the set up to look as clean as possible without clutter everywhere, which has been one of my biggest concerns adding more items to this.

For test kits, I've definitely seen a lot of recommendations and salifert seems to be the most mentioned, do I need the whole combo kit or would I be able to get away with buying specific ones? Or maybe a cheaper option to get me off the ground initially to then recover funds, haha. I did add these seachem (sp?) ph alert and ammonia alert things to my shopping list to go in the tank which seemed to be the major things that can cause everything to die. I may be wrong but at least that's what I gathered.

Also, for water changes, I've seen people do 10% per week or 20% biweekly, is this something you just kinda have to figure out what your tank needs as you go along or should I just start off with 10% and stick with 10%?

If anyone else sees this reply to DirkCourage, please chime in any advice on the stuff I've brought up!
You're welcome! I got the ReefBreeders Prism Nano ATO and am VERY happy with it. I think it's one of the least expensive at around $60, is small and easy to use. Zero problems!

Are you talking about those little stick-on alert thingys for ammonia? From what I understand they're not great indicators, and I would probably skip them. Just test for them. Ammonia and nitrite test are really only done for the cycle. If you're cycled, ammonia and nitrite will always (or quickly be) zero. Your fish become the ammonia source, so the bacteria colonies will continue to grow with the changing levels. So, really your regular tests become salinity, PH, dKH, and nitrates and phosphates. It's likely you'll find as you test that as long as you're not changing or adding livestock, and you're mixing your saltwater right, that these numbers will stay consistent. So, while you will probably test more to start, once you get the feel of things you might even test bi-weekly for nutrients. With few corals and regular water changes, you might never feel like testing for calcium or magnesium. Anyways, that's partly why I'd recommend Salifert now. Low cost entry tests, when you're done with them you may upgrade to a Hanna or something.

And yeah 10% or 20% biweekly, is mostly a preference. Your main goal with it is nutrient management, so if at 2 weeks it's higher than your target, you might want to go weekly. On a 13 gallon (even less water volume with all the rock in there) a 10% is like a gallon, that's a snap. I like to roll that into "maintenance time" weekly with the tank. I though water changes were going to be a major obstacle for me, but I find I enjoy doing them!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back