OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, disaster struck. I had an extended work trip for about 3 days... My wife did her best, but I'm down my hologram wall hammer, my neon green hammer, and a favia. The zoas are going nuts, the acans look decent, and the other 2 favia have decent growth actually.

She doesn't know the warning signs of certain things going wrong, so there's no blame. It's just a bummer.I did some quick cleaning of some algae and I'm going to be doing testing and a water change tomorrow.

On a positive note, now that I'm back I can work on my 200 gallon setup.... I got my fiji cube 36 sump in and all the plumbing. So that project is finally moving!

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think happened?
Man it's so hard to guess. Right before I left I put on a powerhead, which the tank greatly needed one. I made 100% sure it wasn't direct flow. I think I might have had the lights up too high?

The hammer looked great for about 14 days. Then one day it was like 1/4 bleached, and the next day it was entirely bleached sucked in. My wife put it in the far back corner in the sandbed with gentle flow and I turned the lights down like 5%. It's currently not looking good, but it's all sucked in and not dead *yet*

The favia is toast I think. I'm not really sure with it. The other 2 are doing fantastic, besides the zoas they are showing the most growth in the tank. I put the bleaching one in a more shaded area with similar flow. Just taking a shot in the dark.

For the branching hammer, it had polyp bailed a while ago, but the flesh reformed a ring and had a mouth and was actually puffing up and doing well. it would take rides around the tank, but seemed to be very happy. Well, somehow it got under my main rock in a hole the size of a pencil and you can see like the tip of one tentacle. There's no way I can get it out without uprooting the entire tank and tossing the sandbed, which I think is dangerous. So all in all I'm down 2 hammers and a favia I guess.

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I enjoy the nano in my office, I might be taking most of the fun corals out when I get the 200 setup. Might just be zoas and what not. I'll keep the harder to keep corals in the 200 where it's less volatile. The 13.5 might be a grow out tank though. :p

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no update. I've been spending my time just waiting. I had a real bad bryopsis outbreak that a coral brought in from my local store. I treated with reef flux and it's gone!

Now the bad news. I think I might have the start of dinos? I need a second opinion here. I've been slowly (not super paying attention) dosing neonitro. I also need to do another water change since the flucanazole did its job. I just wanted to get some opinions on if this is dinos or not. I'm at the very beginning stage if anything, so I hope to jump out ahead.

Attachments

• 20220529_201144.jpg
    20220529_201144.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics

Attachments

• 20220529_201932.jpg
    20220529_201932.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220529_201923.jpg
    20220529_201923.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220529_201949.jpg
    20220529_201949.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 48

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My $0.02... I would stop dosing NeoNitro. I had a bad experience with it. Corals didn't like it. That Acan looks pretty upset. Run some carbon and stop dosing nitrate. Let nature do its thing.

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My $0.02... I would stop dosing NeoNitro. I had a bad experience with it. Corals didn't like it. That Acan looks pretty upset. Run some carbon and stop dosing nitrate. Let nature do its thing.
I have one dying acan. With the whole bryopsis situation I don't think they fared well. I'll keep an eye on that. I haven't had any noticeable nitrates, but I only dose like .5mL according to the instructions.

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running up against Bryopsis, I've ran Flucanazole once and it did a great job, but the bed didn't get stirred up enough and it was able to survive.

Enter Conch.....

Man this dude is working, he's been an absolute beast turning the sandbed over and cleaning.
I'm running another series of Flucanazole right now and I've manually removed as much as I can. Now the sand bed is clean and it's all basically on the rocks. So best of luck it clears out.

In other news..................
The 200 is cycling in the basement!
I'll have a new thread up for it, but it's a 200 gallon innovative marine nuvo external. Fiji Cube sump, Lifereef skimmer, Syncra sdc 9.0, reef pi, and 4x smat farm LEDs (v2.0's).

Can't wait to share it with you guys! I used turbo start and ammonia power cycling. I'm hoping to have it fully cycled in another week or two and to get my dr reef's QT'd fish in!

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck with the Byropsis. i battled the same and used flucanazole as well. It took a couple of treatments also.
It's already making me want to pull my hair out lol, but I'm trying to win the battle. I've already marked off a couple stores from my local area that had corals with bad things on them. I think I might be sticking to online purchases only at this point.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back