Jack o lantern

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive wanted one of these for 2+ years. Never come across it when i have the money, and never have the money when i come across it.

AquaBelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine. About the size of a silver dollar.

IMG_2934.JPG
WOW! Beautiful!!

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a Photosynthesis/Irradiance Curve for my Jack O'Lantern. As it shows, this coral is tolerant of high light (surprisingly.) This one has been in the new lab's tank for only a few weeks but is starting to encrust.

upload_2017-9-19_8-30-25.png

Jack.jpg

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a Photosynthesis/Irradiance Curve for my Jack O'Lantern. As it shows, this coral is tolerant of high light (surprisingly.) This one has been in the new lab's tank for only a few weeks but is starting to encrust.

upload_2017-9-19_8-30-25.png

Jack.jpg
So what your saying is that they actually will do good in high light when usally the coral is known for being in low light? Also thank you so much for the input that is really interesting stuff!

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what your saying is that they actually will do good in high light when usally the coral is known for being in low light? Also thank you so much for the input that is really interesting stuff!
This coral seems to be highly adaptable to various light field intensities which came as a surprise to me. After reviewing the data, it seems blue light is absorbed by the fluorescent pigments and is fluoresced as light that is not particularly useful in photosynthesis. And thanks - determining light requirements via fluorometry is tedious, time-consuming and, frankly, boring. But surprising results (and compliments) keep me going!

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This coral seems to be highly adaptable to various light field intensities which came as a surprise to me. After reviewing the data, it seems blue light is absorbed by the fluorescent pigments and is fluoresced as light that is not particularly useful in photosynthesis. And thanks - determining light requirements via fluorometry is tedious, time-consuming and, frankly, boring. But surprising results (and compliments) keep me going!
So if I am understanding. It looks nice under blues but whites are more important for growth? Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's truly interesting to see hard facts. Nothing can beat them and make you feels better I thank you very much for sharing everything! Also I have a reef breed photon and I was wondering is there a general setting to try it on? I have it on 40 blue 20 white maybe I'm not sure I would have to check. But I heard don't go past 50 also heard people have them up to 80-90. I just don't understand what to do because I also don't have a par reader.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's truly interesting to see hard facts. Nothing can beat them and make you feels better I thank you very much for sharing everything! Also I have a reef breed photon and I was wondering is there a general setting to try it on? I have it on 40 blue 20 white maybe I'm not sure I would have to check. But I heard don't go past 50 also heard people have them up to 80-90. I just don't understand what to do because I also don't have a par reader.
I googled Reef Breeder Photon... It appears that this luminaire is about the same as the 'black box' I'm using. If this is indeed the case, I wouldn't exceed an intensity of 40-50% on each channel and your 40/20 is probably OK. Perhaps someone with this light can chime in?

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled Reef Breeder Photon... It appears that this luminaire is about the same as the 'black box' I'm using. If this is indeed the case, I wouldn't exceed an intensity of 40-50% on each channel and your 40/20 is probably OK. Perhaps someone with this light can chime in?
Ok thank you I was just wondering I didn't wanna turn it up to much. I wanna say I have it max 40 four one hour then ramp down. I moved my JOL because I thought to much light until I saw your post. I'm guessing parameters are off or had to much flow out of curiosity did you ever play with your JOL and how much flow he got and notice anything?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I am understanding. It looks nice under blues but whites are more important for growth? Thank you in advance.
To fully answer your question, I'd have to examine the effects of blue, green, and red LEDs on this coral... Quick photosynthesis class: Light can be used in photosynthesis or absorbed by protective pigments known as non-photochemical quenching (and usually not discussed, by coral fluorescent proteins.) I looked at the fluorometer data, and their is no evidence of non-photochemical quenching until a PAR value of about 70 is reached. I believe (but would have to confirm) that the fluorescent proteins are shunting light energy away from photosynthesis. This would have to be the blue light since red light only weakly promotes non-photochemical quenching. So, in a nutshell, much of the blue light reaching the coral is either fluoresced away as the orange 'pop' or absorbed by the protective xanthophylls responsible for non-photochemical quenching. This is the Cliff Notes - things could get really complicated and probably best not discussed until a LOT of lab work is done.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you I was just wondering I didn't wanna turn it up to much. I wanna say I have it max 40 four one hour then ramp down. I moved my JOL because I thought to much light until I saw your post. I'm guessing parameters are off or had to much flow out of curiosity did you ever play with your JOL and how much flow he got and notice anything?
The 90-gallon tank has a turnover rate of ~120x per hour. The JOL is not in the direct flow of the Tunze 6255 nor the Mag 9.5 with flow accelerator, but this amount of flow picks up sand and some times deposits a few grains on the corals. In short, unless your coral is being blasted by flow, I doubt it is an issue.

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 90-gallon tank has a turnover rate of ~120x per hour. The JOL is not in the direct flow of the Tunze 6255 nor the Mag 9.5 with flow accelerator, but this amount of flow picks up sand and some times deposits a few grains on the corals. In short, unless your coral is being blasted by flow, I doubt it is an issue.
Ok thanks I guess I'm gonna have to do some research and see if I can figure out what's wrong thank you for all the help!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back