Japanese Coral Clarification

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just searching your site and saw you have a couple corals listed as Japanese. I was under the impression it was illegal for these corals to be imported into the US. Just looking for clarification.

Thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From what I understand, some of these corals are being shipped illegally to places like Tonga and then shipped legally into the US??

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people (end buyers) are ignorant to the fact that these corals are illegal to harvest if truly being harvested off Japanese waters. Many articles and threads I have read point to the "HYPE" factor for selling these corals for more money and just using the name "Japanese". According to Fish and Wildlife they are aware of the importation of these corals and have been cracking down for quite sometime. They too acknowledge in most instances the person selling these corals are misleading the customer into thinking the coral are from Japan when it actually is not.

My point is why rob a bank and then walk around with a flourescent orange shirt saying "Im the bank robber"? Surely the wholesalers that advertise these corals as Japanese, must know if they are illegal then they are doing something wrong. When I have seen them being offered for sell I dont see an inflated price on them. I see the same prices accross the board as say Austrailian corals. Just my 2 cents!!!!!

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people (end buyers) are ignorant to the fact that these corals are illegal to harvest if truly being harvested off Japanese waters. Many articles and threads I have read point to the "HYPE" factor for selling these corals for more money and just using the name "Japanese". According to Fish and Wildlife they are aware of the importation of these corals and have been cracking down for quite sometime. They too acknowledge in most instances the person selling these corals are misleading the customer into thinking the coral are from Japan when it actually is not.

My point is why rob a bank and then walk around with a flourescent orange shirt saying "Im the bank robber"? Surely the wholesalers that advertise these corals as Japanese, must know if they are illegal then they are doing something wrong. When I have seen them being offered for sell I dont see an inflated price on them. I see the same prices accross the board as say Austrailian corals. Just my 2 cents!!!!!

completely agree with this.

rbtwo4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares?????? all these fish and corals shouldnt be in our tanks anyway! theyre better left in its own natural habitat. i dont get this??? japanese, chinese, russian, australian, indian, dominican, cuban, puertorican, american WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?!?

grknyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares?????? all these fish and corals shouldnt be in our tanks anyway! theyre better left in its own natural habitat. i dont get this??? japanese, chinese, russian, australian, indian, dominican, cuban, puertorican, american WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?!?[/quote

Last edited:

grknyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares?????? all these fish and corals shouldnt be in our tanks anyway! theyre better left in its own natural habitat. i dont get this??? japanese, chinese, russian, australian, indian, dominican, cuban, puertorican, american WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?!?

Rbtwo4 is right!!! Your all guilty including me so with that said who cares!!!!
How many times has something died in your tank at your hands where it might have lived alot longer in the ocean from whereever it came from.

dieselab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way we can trace where the coral orginally came from. If the wholesaler claims they are from Japan, Indo, Bali, Australia, etc... how can we even verify that. Asking for coral origin clarification is useless. This topic of "how do you know its from Japan", are just like the "acan maxima" posts. Trust me, money talks, and eventually you can get almost anything you want be it from Mars, Venus, Jupiter, etc...

Psychographic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just searching your site and saw you have a couple corals listed as Japanese. I was under the impression it was illegal for these corals to be imported into the US. Just looking for clarification.

Thanks
Why do you need to know, so you can stick your nose where it does'nt belong?

I have read two threads so far where you are being the Coral Police and harrasing people over the origin of the corals.

Don't you have better things to do?

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i find it interesting that 3 people who have never really contributed to R2R but signed up a long time ago find it compelling to put their 2 cents into this thread all of a sudden...lol

so anyone want to take a guess as to what other forum has a link to this thread?

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since this has become more of a general discussion (not concerning any 1 sponsor), its going in the LPS discussion forum...lol

Last edited:

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thread is a good discussion that isn't going to get locked down.

if anyone crosses the line i have a very easy fix that equates to putting duct tape over their big mouth.

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need to know, so you can stick your nose where it does'nt belong?

I have read two threads so far where you are being the Coral Police and harrasing people over the origin of the corals.

Don't you have better things to do?

It is this type of stance that keeps the illegal coral flowing from certain areas of the world. There really is no need to get persoanl in this type of discussion. I am more interested to know how you feel about importing illegal corals that what you have responded with Psychographic.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know Japanese corals are readily available locally in Japan itself ... self contained within their own country .... it is Illegal to Import these Corals out of Japan .. PERIOD!! Just like the Acan Maxima from Oman. These two countries protect their Reef's religiously.
On a Side Note .. I have Personally Seen Actual Japanese corals and they're Amazing from one particular specimen ..... :marv!!

Paul

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back