Japanese Coral Clarification

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANother way take raised is better is its way stronger IMO. But if you do research this hobby doesnt really dent the coral reefs that much. Its more of the poultion then anything. And ur right one time it came from the ocean but now bc stuff is tank raised the oceans can recoupe so to speak

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i shoot to get all my corals aqua-cultured, maricultured if it has to be but not preferably.

Kinda ticked me off when I got to England at first because I would ask at stores where their corals came from and the response would be "from the Ocean of course, we only sell corals from the ocean because they are better quality and have nicer colors." Not only are these people uneducated and convoluted but they are spreading their filth to unsuspecting and unknowing costumers. Suffice it to say that I don't visit their stores anymore, even got in a fairly heated argument with one of the store owners.

Sucks!

My next tank in the states is going to be all aqua-cultured. Luckily there is a large selection of exceptional nice corals so its worth it.

TheCoralGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, the Japanese Deepwater Zoanthids are NOT illegal to harvest. Just as with all other coral, there's strict guidelines into harvesting them. The only way to harvest the jap zoa is to literally peel it off the rock. For some strange reason Japan allows the people to harvest the coral, but not the rock it is on. I'm guessing it's because they believe that more coral will grow on the rock that is leftover. Price wise though, I think the only reason that the jap zoas are so expensive is because they're extremely bright in color. Hey, if people willing to pay those crazy prices, I'm pretty sure a retailer is willing to sell it to them...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back