OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a cooler for the aquarium.

I used an indoor air conditioner to manage the water temperature.It was 24℃(75℉) inside the house and 26℃(79℉) to 27℃(80℉) inside the tank, but with the heat of summer in Japan, the temperature inside the tank was sometimes 28℃(82℉).
I don't think 28℃ (82℉) is anything I can't keep my corals in, but it increases the risk of bleaching, so I installed a cooler for the tank.

My aquarium cabinet is too small to put a cooler inside.So I installed a special pump and installed the cooler in the attic, 4 meters away from the tank.
A674B3CF-02B9-40BE-8557-EEEBF2A312C8.jpeg

This is the pathway from the sump to the pump, through a long pipe, through the cooler, and back through the pipe to the refugium.
DEC5AF86-5079-4966-B23B-1CFD9D89E890.jpeg

F7525CF9-E2BE-4AE7-ADF2-80A5497CB900.jpeg

This is what the cooler in the attic looks like.
4EC201FD-A13F-4E9C-A5E2-B417BF5C0E14.jpeg

The pipes are visible in some places, but I managed to get the cooler installed without obstructing the room.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a reef tank in my loft at home.The preparations started in the summer of 2019 and the seawater was added on January 18, 2020. I'm going to show you the record to date. There is already an aquatic plant tank on the right side.I decided to make a tank full of coral on the left side of this one.

This is my tank build thread.

Man, I love the organizational skills. I can't even organize my desk.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A gem of Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your set up. Congrats on the Reef Builders article.

Do you keep a screen lid over your display tanks to prevent the fish from jumping?
Thank you! I don't have a lid on my tank at the moment.I'm sure it's okay because of the flanges, but I'm a little concerned about it.

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dosing pump was installed. I chose the Jebao doser 3.4. Since I plan to add 4 trace elements and 1 coral food, I really wanted something that can add 5 of them.But I chose this doser 3.4 because the size of the cabinet is small and it can only ignite 4 of them.The same series has a product called doser 3.1 that can add one to the cabinet, so I will add this one later.I will add this one later.

The trace element additive is redsea's Coral Colors.Coral Food will also be redsea's Reef Energy Plus. The trace element additive will be diluted three times in RO water and each element will be added three times a day, staggered in time. I'm not sure if coral food should be added in small amounts continuously, or if I should add a certain amount more in as little as two times.

A bottle to hold the additive
684AE001-CE29-4079-BA09-063270204BAD.jpeg

Installation
F964DA4D-8713-46F7-827F-93F0A302B4A0.jpeg

941975B3-F4A3-4C59-AF23-9BFC7662998B.jpeg

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dosing pump was installed. I chose the Jebao doser 3.4. Since I plan to add 4 trace elements and 1 coral food, I really wanted something that can add 5 of them.But I chose this doser 3.4 because the size of the cabinet is small and it can only ignite 4 of them.The same series has a product called doser 3.1 that can add one to the cabinet, so I will add this one later.I will add this one later.

The trace element additive is redsea's Coral Colors.Coral Food will also be redsea's Reef Energy Plus. The trace element additive will be diluted three times in RO water and each element will be added three times a day, staggered in time. I'm not sure if coral food should be added in small amounts continuously, or if I should add a certain amount more in as little as two times.

A bottle to hold the additive
684AE001-CE29-4079-BA09-063270204BAD.jpeg

Installation
F964DA4D-8713-46F7-827F-93F0A302B4A0.jpeg

941975B3-F4A3-4C59-AF23-9BFC7662998B.jpeg
Hey, neat tops on the bottles, did they come that way?

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, neat tops on the bottles, did they come that way?
I used a wash bottle made in Japan for chemical experiments.It has an air hole switch (I don't know what it's called in English) and I thought it would be convenient, so I adopted it.
I put a sticker on the bottle for trace elements so that you can see what was put in which bottle.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a wash bottle made in Japan for chemical experiments.It has an air hole switch (I don't know what it's called in English) and I thought it would be convenient, so I adopted it.
I put a sticker on the bottle for trace elements so that you can see what was put in which bottle.
Wow, they’re perfect for dosing.

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello mr. Takaki. I have really enjoyed to see your tread here, its SO well made and to see your skills when it comes to reefscape, both freshwater and saltwater tanks is truly OUTSTANDING!

I am an experienced reefkeeper from Denmark having had loads of reef tanks, and for the time i have a mixed reef with focus on the fish` i do have a small amount of acropora and montipora corals in there as well tho. I have a regal (adult) a queen (semi adult) a flame and a barreld angle, also a pincet fish, a foxface, a school of blue damsel, a pair of kauderni (breeding) and a pair of clownfish.

My reef is 2,5 meters long, 60 cm high and 50 cm wide (narrow i know).

This tank have been running for a couple of years and now I'm getting a bit bored with it and I was thinking of closing it down....... But seeing your tread is so inspiring that I wanna make something new now.

Do you have any suggestions for a tank holding this dimensions? I am open for anything as long as it is not "normal". I also did consitter to go back to freshwater again. If I do this, will you then give me some "tips and trix"? That would be fantastic.

Salt wise, one of my own ideas is to make a deep sand bed and then just have one "island" in the middle of the tank, holding some corals. How would that be? Do you have any ideas?

Another idea is to make 2 "islands" and then have the middle open.

Again i have to say THANK YOU for sharing your amazing tanks I would LOVE to come and see them "live" somtime!

Greetings from Denmark. Charlie

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello mr. Takaki. I have really enjoyed to see your tread here, its SO well made and to see your skills when it comes to reefscape, both freshwater and saltwater tanks is truly OUTSTANDING!

I am an experienced reefkeeper from Denmark having had loads of reef tanks, and for the time i have a mixed reef with focus on the fish` i do have a small amount of acropora and montipora corals in there as well tho. I have a regal (adult) a queen (semi adult) a flame and a barreld angle, also a pincet fish, a foxface, a school of blue damsel, a pair of kauderni (breeding) and a pair of clownfish.

My reef is 2,5 meters long, 60 cm high and 50 cm wide (narrow i know).

This tank have been running for a couple of years and now I'm getting a bit bored with it and I was thinking of closing it down....... But seeing your tread is so inspiring that I wanna make something new now.

Do you have any suggestions for a tank holding this dimensions? I am open for anything as long as it is not "normal". I also did consitter to go back to freshwater again. If I do this, will you then give me some "tips and trix"? That would be fantastic.

Salt wise, one of my own ideas is to make a deep sand bed and then just have one "island" in the middle of the tank, holding some corals. How would that be? Do you have any ideas?

Another idea is to make 2 "islands" and then have the middle open.

Again i have to say THANK YOU for sharing your amazing tanks I would LOVE to come and see them "live" somtime!

Greetings from Denmark. Charlie
Thanks for the comment. That's an awesome 2.5 meter tank! This is a dream come true in Japan where housing is so small.

You want ideas, and if I can help you, I'll be happy to comment.However, I'm a newbie, so I'll comment as I see fit.

First of all, I'm just starting out with saltwater so I'm obsessed with corals right now.So I'll start with a coral tank idea.
My tank is more of an orthodox layout, but if I make the next one, I would like to make it more acrobatic.(I don't know how many years away that will be, lol.) For example, I've been seeing a lot of layouts recently that look like they are floating in the air.This seems to be made by using magnets or something to hold the layout to the glass in the back, and I think these are very exciting layouts.The water flow is smooth and looks cool.(The problem is that hermit crabs can't climb on them lol ) This is the layout for people, but this is what it looks like.
29BE5FD1-401A-439D-AEFB-F2B300DBDA97.jpeg

1B56824C-6418-496C-9F58-462857F1CAF1.jpeg

If you want to do seawater, I'd like to see a coral tank with this kind of acrobatic layout in a 2.5m monster tank.

Next, if you want to do fresh water.It is not a pure freshwater tank, but I have been interested in pardariums for years and have been doing a lot of research on them.
So how about a giant pardarium? With an aquaterrarium, you can keep fish by creating an underwater area, and you can also enjoy aquatic plants in this area. Also, I think the variety of plants in the rainforest and the diversity of grasses are very attractive.
My dream is to make a paludarium in the space between the coral tank and the aquatic plant tank.
This is not my tank, but it is a reference image.
0AEC7DF4-2F3B-48C5-B764-BB6C8ACE870A.jpeg

BDCCCDF5-B655-4E8B-AC5E-03A096B47A7B.jpeg

It may be a little out of the point, but I'm commenting as I think.

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment. That's an awesome 2.5 meter tank! This is a dream come true in Japan where housing is so small.

You want ideas, and if I can help you, I'll be happy to comment.However, I'm a newbie, so I'll comment as I see fit.

First of all, I'm just starting out with saltwater so I'm obsessed with corals right now.So I'll start with a coral tank idea.
My tank is more of an orthodox layout, but if I make the next one, I would like to make it more acrobatic.(I don't know how many years away that will be, lol.) For example, I've been seeing a lot of layouts recently that look like they are floating in the air.This seems to be made by using magnets or something to hold the layout to the glass in the back, and I think these are very exciting layouts.The water flow is smooth and looks cool.(The problem is that hermit crabs can't climb on them lol ) This is the layout for people, but this is what it looks like.

If you want to do seawater, I'd like to see a coral tank with this kind of acrobatic layout in a 2.5m monster tank.

Next, if you want to do fresh water.It is not a pure freshwater tank, but I have been interested in pardariums for years and have been doing a lot of research on them.
So how about a giant pardarium? With an aquaterrarium, you can keep fish by creating an underwater area, and you can also enjoy aquatic plants in this area. Also, I think the variety of plants in the rainforest and the diversity of grasses are very attractive.
My dream is to make a paludarium in the space between the coral tank and the aquatic plant tank.

So sorry about the double post.... I dont know how to delete...?
Thank you for answering and doing it so fast ;-) I love the two salt pics, great ideas!
I did have pardariums when I was a young man....(like 35 years ago...Lol) and i loved it, Among others i did have charmeleon, small snakes, water agame as reptiles and in the water there was some common freshwater fishes. I think a pardarium needs to be HIGH, so it wont work with this tank and I want to reuse the tank.

This is how it looks right now..... (Morning light = not much light) The two tanks are connected. Sorry for the mess, Im working on that part ;-)

Maybe I can make a floating Island in the small HIGH tank and in the long one I can make it very open in the left side and then a floating rock scape in the right side, that would be wild!
Please let your ideas float sir and sorry for posting pics in your tread. I can send them to you as PM in the future.

THANK YOU.
Tank.jpg

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about the double post.... I dont know how to delete...?
Thank you for answering and doing it so fast ;-) I love the two salt pics, great ideas!
I did have pardariums when I was a young man....(like 35 years ago...Lol) and i loved it, Among others i did have charmeleon, small snakes, water agame as reptiles and in the water there was some common freshwater fishes. I think a pardarium needs to be HIGH, so it wont work with this tank and I want to reuse the tank.

This is how it looks right now..... (Morning light = not much light) The two tanks are connected. Sorry for the mess, Im working on that part ;-)

Maybe I can make a floating Island in the small HIGH tank and in the long one I can make it very open in the left side and then a floating rock scape in the right side, that would be wild!
Please let your ideas float sir and sorry for posting pics in your tread. I can send them to you as PM in the future.

THANK YOU.
Tank.jpg
The video you shared with me was unfortunately not available to me.Maybe it's a problem with my phone's browser?

I don't know why it's a big tank anyway!I'm jealous you have a great tank. You've already experienced Pardarium a long time ago.It's wonderful.Glad to see an experienced tank keeper commenting on it.

Thanks for liking the floating rock idea.(I'm not original, lol) If you ever make one, please share it with us.You can do it in this thread or in a PM as a way to do it.(But I'm sure other viewers are curious about it too, so I'd love it if you'd share it here )

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i also loved to have the big pardarium in the corner of my living room. It was a big triangle with the long side out so it did fit in the corner. The water was 30 cm high and the big window was 100X100 cm, so it was rather big. I did have orchidaceae and other epifytte plants in there as well as a small waterfall and all. It was lots of fun!

I did put in a link in here, so you can see a movie (****** quality) of my tank in youtube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou25Bydyl1A&t=7s

How do you think they made the rocks "flow" on the pics you postet?

I just got an idea........ I think I will use the light in my decor as well..... Imaging that the tank in the left side, where it's gonna be almost empty there won't be so much light, and then in the right side, where I make a floating island, there will be a lot of light... In that way I can really use the length of the tank...? What do you think?

Btw I didn't praise you enough for your salt tanks!!! They looks fantastic. What do you do when the corals really starts to grow? Do you just crack them to make new frags?

Thank you Sir!

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back