Jason Fox coral, newbie question

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano has been up and running for 6 months with fish only. Looking to start adding coral later in the year and plan to only use Jason Fox. Reasons being limited space (I won't be getting anything bigger), really like his coral, and not wanting to deal with pests. I saw his interviews and his setup was impressive.

Should I even bother dipping when receiving? Should I keep existing plugs? How many would you recommend I start with given the learning curve?

Thank you

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of vendor, it's always good practice to dip and inspect the corals.

Removing them from the frag plug reduces your risk because anything that might be living or growing on the plug can be discarded.

Cut the coral back to live tissue and you dramatically reduce any unwanted hitchhikers.

What Jason Fox coral are you looking at to put in your tank?

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, thank you. I will plan to do a CoralRX dip and put on new plugs.

Coral wise I'm not 100% sure. I have the Fluval 13.5. I'm planning to buy in stages, hoping to learn on more entry levels ones starting with LPS. I was thinking initially:
  • Cornbread Bling Bling Cyphastrea (bottom of tank)
  • Nuclear Trumpet (middle of tank)
  • Pink Bo*bies Chalice (middle of tank)
  • Tangerine Juice Lepto (middle of tank)

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano has been up and running for 6 months with fish only. Looking to start adding coral later in the year and plan to only use Jason Fox. Reasons being limited space (I won't be getting anything bigger), really like his coral, and not wanting to deal with pests. I saw his interviews and his setup was impressive.

Should I even bother dipping when receiving? Should I keep existing plugs? How many would you recommend I start with given the learning curve?

Thank you
I'll join the chorus of: always dip. I've seen the video you're referencing and he has great tanks and procedures. However, a coral farm like his may have no trouble dealing with a certain type of algae or hitchhiker but it could throw off the balance in your reef.

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Another newbie question... I have an AI prime and using BRS recommended settings (66,66,50,50,4,4,0,26 with cloud effect going down and back up). I haven't used a PAR reader, if I install coral onto the rock direct, skipping plug what do I do if it's not enough light or flow for that specific coral? Or if the coral is placed too close? Me being new to this would it be better for me to use a frag holder until I can determine the coral are happy at that location? Thank you

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thats a pretty low setting for 16's imo. I run 7 on 2 different systems.
You wont know unless you use a par meter.
First 4 100%
The rest 50%
1hr up/down 10hrs peak.
I get 250 par 6" below the surface with a 10" mounting height. I get 200 par at 13" for my Nem
This setting will grow anything you want.

If you use reef putty with superglue you can easily mount the plug anywhere and its easy to remove it. Once its encrusted not so much.

So my 30g remote with 8 months growth. I started with one 16 and added another.
7 months growth.
20220903_152311.jpg

20230512_111147.jpg

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed my first coral order! Decided to use Tidal Gardens, their extensive articles and info was a huge help!

Thanks 90's reefer too! I bumped up my light to 60% of the BRS AB+ (100,100,47,48,2,2,0,11)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back