OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, been a while since I last updated. Tank is still largely on cruise control. Pretty sure I've beat the dreaded dino's but a side affect was an explosion of vermetid snails. Yay.

I did add a tuxedo urchin as I read they'll clean off the snails as the scour the rock. This has been proven true in my case, in case someone stumbles across this thread looking for vermetid snail predators. My melanarus wrasse hasn't seemed to have touched a single one either FWIW. However, the urchin is too large to get to large numbers of the vermetid's. I've read that emerald crabs are potential predators so have 5 of those coming in a CUC that should be here Thursday. Should those pan out I 'll probably start adding fish and corals again.

Fish have been fairly good. Been sitting at 15 total for about 6 months. 6 lyretail anthias with a beautiful male, a couple almost males, and a few females, my 9 year old clowns are still kicking, a melanrus, blackfin mccosker, and lubbock's wrasses, a yellow eye kole tang, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, and my potter's angelfish which I love.

Corals have mostly died however. I have a green hammer that's actually growing and some acan enchinata that has assumed steady state. Most of the die off was likely due to no water changes while combating the dino's. I do dose 2-part and kept an eye on param's. I have to believe there was something else missing. The rare water changes I performed did see a visual rebound in corals. But also dino growth. The latest water change or two has not seemed to have any negative affects, so I'll plan on 3-4 40gal changes per month for the next few months in an attempt to get things back on track.

My garage based refugium has been working very well. The small clump of cheato I put in is now larger than a basketball. Probably time to get rid of about half of it. Pods are visually scurrying everywhere in it. The kessil A350 light really helped the cheato.

I worked diligently to QT everything that went into this tank. This means I have a near heart attack any time I see a speck of something on any fish. It's always seemed to just be a piece of sand or detritus that's clung to a fish. Gone after a day or two but still frustrating lol!

I did redo the equipment in the garage. The table my mixing barrel was on was not well built and my propensity to forget about the RODI making water and then flooding the table and garage certainly didn't help. So I built a new stand to put it up and over a freezer and spare fridge. I put a water heater spill pan under it and ran the drain for the spill pan to just next to the garage door. Haven't tested it yet, but I'm sure that day is coming. It also puts the barrel closer to the refugium to make water changes easier. This is important as my neck is telling me I may need yet another surgery. Need to make things as easy as possible before that time.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still very much steady state though, as always in this hobby, there are challenges lol! My salt water mixing station started leaking from one of the valves. I much of the plumbing and valves with union valves and did a combo of hard plumbing and flex pvc to route output directly to the fuge without the need for large nylon tubing and zip ties.

Then, my 60 cube in the family room leaked. Thank goodness I was home as only 10-15 gallons made it on the floor. It's currently sitting out back waiting for me to clean it and then see if I can tell where it was leaking from. Almost certainly a seam from my quick inspection when I first noticed water. Thankfully no other equipment seems to have been lost.

While I was in the garage playing with the mixing station, I reran the DOS to alk and calc reservoirs tubing as I was consistently getting air in the line. Rock solid now.

Biggest news for me, I'm in the queue at a LFS for a Trident. It's been on my wish list for a while and will hopefully help me bring much needed stability to my tank parameters.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a very, very good note, I seem to have won the Dino battle. A year ago I identified them. I haven't seen easily visual traces of them for nearly 6 months but kept running UV and dosing MB7. Took a sample from the sand yesterday and not a trace to be found. So, UV is officially off the tank and will get cleaned and stored until I can find a more visually appealing way to plumb them/one.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best news for me, happened to be browsing BRS' web site when, lo and behold, the Trident was in stock. So Trident and 2-month reagents on the way. One step closer to being a lazier reefer lol!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got any updated pics?
Not really any different, but I was just thinking I should throw some up :). I'll get some up today and include how I redid my water change station in the garage.

And thanks for replying, nice to know at least someone besides me looks at this thread lol!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mixing station and fuge in garage and latest FTS. I got out of the habit of vacuuming the sand when I had Dino’s. Need to get back to it.

D6894F59-EAFC-444C-8F9B-D2AD9AB82660.jpeg image.jpg

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mixing station and fuge in garage and latest FTS. I got out of the habit of vacuuming the sand when I had Dino’s. Need to get back to it.

D6894F59-EAFC-444C-8F9B-D2AD9AB82660.jpeg image.jpg
Figure it is easier to post on your thread, so I don't hijack the other. Can you post more pics of the fuge? Do you have this plumbed completely separate from the DT? I know you mentioned you do water changes from the fuge, can you give me more details on that?

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure it is easier to post on your thread, so I don't hijack the other. Can you post more pics of the fuge? Do you have this plumbed completely separate from the DT? I know you mentioned you do water changes from the fuge, can you give me more details on that?

Sure thing.

I have one feed and two drain lines run to the fuge. The feed comes directly off the return via a cross fitting. In from the return, out to the fuge, and out to two returns. The two drain lines run from the bottom of the fuge into the return section of the sump.

The feed to the fuge is controlled via a gate valve right above the fuge. I also have an EB8, Apex DOS, and Kessil H380 out there.

To do a water change, I close the fuge supply gate valve, wait for the water level to stabilize, drop a pump with tubing in, and pump out to my sink in the garage. I have the fuge marked for every 5 gallons. To fill it back up, I turn on the mixing barrel pump and open the ball valve for the supply to the fuge. I just close the ball valve as the water begins to trickle over the weir to the overflow area.

Then I open the fuge supply gate valve to put the fuge back in service.

Attached are photos of wall penetrations and the fuge area. It’s crowded and messy, so I do apologize. And don’t tell my wife how awful the wall penetrations look lol! I need to trim off the foam.

49903B60-1577-4301-99B0-3AD0A2F6A825.jpeg CFF9CFC4-18D5-40D5-A4B5-A7D00409D014.jpeg 28A51F6F-D57B-48F5-9FB4-62682F519B16.jpeg 0E136186-5B35-4976-82F5-9ADBC6074795.jpeg F6F9E60A-549F-4983-A829-0DF9AB4F1F93.jpeg

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

DT is 6'x2'x2.5', so a 220. 40b as a sump, and 75 standard as a fuge. I estimate 250 gallons total volume.

I really wanted a good sized fuge. Wish I could use a 120 lol! But the 75 was cheap, and fits well in the space I had. Key thing was the height. I tried a low fuge to see if it could act as additional "spill over" for the sump when the return is off but couldn't get more than a trickle of flow through the fuge. Not unexpected, but I hoped. So raised it up a couple of feet and it's perfect.

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

DT is 6'x2'x2.5', so a 220. 40b as a sump, and 75 standard as a fuge. I estimate 250 gallons total volume.

I really wanted a good sized fuge. Wish I could use a 120 lol! But the 75 was cheap, and fits well in the space I had. Key thing was the height. I tried a low fuge to see if it could act as additional "spill over" for the sump when the return is off but couldn't get more than a trickle of flow through the fuge. Not unexpected, but I hoped. So raised it up a couple of feet and it's perfect.

I am in the very early stages of planning a new system, so I like seeing new things I have never thought of. Plus I have been out of the game for a few years now.

How do you like the 30" tall? The plan for the new one is 48" L x 24" W x 48" H.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the very early stages of planning a new system, so I like seeing new things I have never thought of. Plus I have been out of the game for a few years now.

How do you like the 30" tall? The plan for the new one is 48" L x 24" W x 48" H.
Definitely times I wish it was only 24” tall. I’m only 5’10” and it’s a struggle to reach nearly anything. I have thousands of vermetid snails that I can’t do anything about as they’re too deep. I’m hoping as I get the tank back on track post Dino’s that they eventually recede. At least my urchin eats them when he can reach them!

We’ll see once I start adding some SPS. I purposely kept the rock on the low side in the hopes of letting corals grow up. Dino’s sidelined that plan for quite a while. Heck, even now I’m buying equipment over corals lol! Plan is to start adding corals again in a couple months. Nothing too expensive to start, but want to make sure the tank, and I, are ready.

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely times I wish it was only 24” tall. I’m only 5’10” and it’s a struggle to reach nearly anything. I have thousands of vermetid snails that I can’t do anything about as they’re too deep. I’m hoping as I get the tank back on track post Dino’s that they eventually recede. At least my urchin eats them when he can reach them!

We’ll see once I start adding some SPS. I purposely kept the rock on the low side in the hopes of letting corals grow up. Dino’s sidelined that plan for quite a while. Heck, even now I’m buying equipment over corals lol! Plan is to start adding corals again in a couple months. Nothing too expensive to start, but want to make sure the tank, and I, are ready.

I remember my 30" was a struggle too. I don't know how that extra 18" will do. The tall tanks just look so beautiful. And once I get an idea in my head its hard to change it. The more I think, the more I want to turn a closet into a fish room and run plumbing under the flooring. That would allow for a full fuge, QT tanks, etc. If not I would have to have a sump with an area that has the fuge then maybe a QT tank, ATO elsewhere.

I wish I had the room you do! The spot where mine will eventually go is where our wet bar is. The tank would fit well there and is a good room divider. Still doing a huge kitchen remodel which involved moving load bearing walls. The tank would complete everything.

I am a fan of your equipment choices and the attention to detail. I have never had a QT tank so all that is new for me. My old system was very generic. It looked great even though I had nothing fancy.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember my 30" was a struggle too. I don't know how that extra 18" will do. The tall tanks just look so beautiful. And once I get an idea in my head its hard to change it. The more I think, the more I want to turn a closet into a fish room and run plumbing under the flooring. That would allow for a full fuge, QT tanks, etc. If not I would have to have a sump with an area that has the fuge then maybe a QT tank, ATO elsewhere.

I wish I had the room you do! The spot where mine will eventually go is where our wet bar is. The tank would fit well there and is a good room divider. Still doing a huge kitchen remodel which involved moving load bearing walls. The tank would complete everything.

I am a fan of your equipment choices and the attention to detail. I have never had a QT tank so all that is new for me. My old system was very generic. It looked great even though I had nothing fancy.

The main concern I see with running plumbing under the floor is water than has to flow uphill, and that's always a struggle. Can be done, but you'd need the fuge to be pretty high.

I put my tank in my office specifically so I could run piping through the wall into the garage. The downside is my office isn't very large, especially with the tank in it lol! It's worked out well though.

Good luck with your remodel. I finished off the basement of our last house myself doing everything but the carpet. It's a ton of work.

Regarding equipment, I've been pretty happy with everything I've chosen. The return has been rock solid, as has the skimmer and power heads. I cleaned the gyre for the first time earlier this week and flow did noticeably improve, so I need to do that more frequently. I just haven't had enough coral to test the lighting long term, but it seemed fine before the dino's and vermetid's hit. I'll supplement with T-5's if/when the time comes where I feel I need more kick.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the thread. Awesome! You beat amphidinium without removing your sand! Sounds like we have/ had similar issues with dinos and vermatid. Now if you can just grow cyano and aiptasia, you would be just like me :)

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the thread. Awesome! You beat amphidinium without removing your sand! Sounds like we have/ had similar issues with dinos and vermatid. Now if you can just grow cyano and aiptasia, you would be just like me :)
Actually I think I have a little cyano on some rock:eek::). I had a little aiptasia in my first tank and knocked it down quick. Thankfully haven’t had any issues with either upgrade. I QT coral and fish so should catch it. Though, with my 60 cube down, I may have to resort to my 20 for QT. Need to find an inexpensive 30 cube to replace the 60.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back