JBJ 24g Nano Cube Zoa Garden

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started in this hobby a couple of years ago, I jumped in with both feet and as many of us have done, I went a little crazy. I headed to my LFS to buy a 16g cube and came home with a 38g Innovative Marine Nuvo. In no time that tank was "full" so I expanded adding a 46g bowfront, then a 28g JBJ Pro LED and a 25g Mantis Shrimp tank. Then I went quite a bit bigger and combined everything into a 180g tank, except the Mantis of course, and sold the small tanks. Sadly my Mantis died and that tank came down and went to a new home as well.

I love my 180 and plan to upgrade to a 360 that I hope to have up and running before the end of 2014, but I found myself missing the simplicity and smaller inhabitants I had in my smaller tanks. I caught a glimpse of one of my pom pom crabs a couple of days ago, and it was the first time I’d seen one in many weeks. I have a strawberry crab I never see, and wasn’t even sure was alive until we bought a new house this year and had to tear down the 180 to move it. I have some larger wrasse so sexy shrimp are a no go in this tank and even if they weren’t they’d be lost in a tank so big. So I started thinking about setting up another cube to get my fix. I’ve decided to go with a zoa garden, small inverts and possibly a pair of Yashas paired up with a pistol shrimp.

I ended up picking up a JBJ 24g from Drs. Foster & Smith. It’s the basic one with 2 – 50/50 compact fluorescent bulbs and LED moonlights, but for $220 with the stand it was a good deal and plenty for what I want to do. I’ve already ordered up a couple of R2 Solutions moonlights that I’ll be adding so I can run day & night lighting on separate timers. If I do find that I need more day lighting down the road, I’ll either modify the existing hood or remove it and suspend an LED fixture.

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 1 - My good friend Paul (a fellow reefer) and his wife spent the night with us on the 31st to celebrate New Year's Eve and on the 1st Paul and I started setting up the new cube. I decided to go with dry tonga branch from Bulk Reef Supply and live black sand. Paul and I sat down with the rock and started working on a design. I wanted a very branchy look with varying height and depth. Note the high tech cardboard template that we used.

Attachments

• scapingsmall.jpg
    scapingsmall.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 449
OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 2 – Time to get wet! Sand and rock are in the tank and water has been added along with some Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7. Let the cycling begin. The hardest part is being patient while that happens.

Attachments

• ftssmall.jpg
    ftssmall.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 507

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Structure is way cool.

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, that was really weird. I literally just opened my computer to post an update.

The tank has cycled and snails were added about 2 weeks ago. Today I added a frag of whammin' watermelon zoas. I wanted to go with something cheap to replace to kick things off. If that frag does well, more will be going in over the next couple of weeks. I have around a dozen different varieties that I've been growing out in my main tank that have some great color.

I've decided that in addition to adding some sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs, I'm going to add a pair of Randalli gobies and a pistol shrimp. Randallis are one of my favorite fish and the white with orange stripes will look great against the black sand. Once I have more algae growing I'd like to add a red fromia star as well.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 15 types of zoas in the tank now. I picked up frags and then split them so I have backups in my big tank in case something happens to the cube. It still looks pretty barren, but hopefully the zoas will start filling out. I've also added a Dendro, Sun Coral, Red Coco Worm, 3 Pom Pom Crabs, 3 Sexy Shrimp and a Chinstrap Jawfish.

Attachments

• nano01.jpg
    nano01.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 366
  • nano03.jpg
    nano03.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 336
  • nano06.jpg
    nano06.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 384
  • nano08.jpg
    nano08.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 354
  • nano10.jpg
    nano10.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 437

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 53 49.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back