JbJ 28 HQI upgrades and questions

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone thanks in advance for any and all help and tips.

I upgraded my Hqi nanocube with the nanotuners 2 pc lights, intank media basket and so far that's it. I was wandering what the rest of you do for flow ? I was thinking of swapping out the pumps for mj-1200's but its not really that much more flow and I'm not sure if its worth the extra heat ??? Stock pumps 266 gph and maxi jets are 290 something ???

My next question is about the wavemaker, I have a reefkeeper system and I the pumps set up on there on seperate channels set to random. Rite now it alternates about every 60 seconds but they never go on at the same time is that rite ???

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put 2 maxi jet 1200s in mine and it makes much more flow then the stock power heads plus a nano koralia.

I just put the maxijets in today and decided to take the koralia out because with the maxijets I feel I have enough flow for what I am keeping. Also with the upgraded pumps in the back that means more water going over your media.

As far as other upgrades I would ditch the media basket and grab a skimmer. Then in the other chambers you can add media bags. I run GFO, carbon, Purigen, and filter floss

Hope this helps
Rob

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on ditching the media basket. It breaks the laws of water (path of least resistance). I also agree with above advice, as far as media. But instead of gfo and carbon, I would just use chemipure elite. Its carbon and gfo combined in one bag.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your right chemi pure elite is what you wanna run. Pretty much the same as GFO and carbon.

I order GFO and carbon from bulkreefsupply and then make up my own bag. It's much cheaper then buying chemi pure elite.

OP
OP
E

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply guys.

Do you run both your pumps at the sane time or do use the wavemaker and I'd so how do you have it set

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 2 mj1200's in mine, I don't run the wavemaker they are both on full time. I feel like I have pretty good flow in the tank although there isn't much liverock and corals in that tank yet.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your right chemi pure elite is what you wanna run. Pretty much the same as GFO and carbon.

I order GFO and carbon from bulkreefsupply and then make up my own bag. It's much cheaper then buying chemi pure elite.

What do you buy from brs exactly? Just curious. If its cheaper, I'm all all for it.

hoginme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the intank media basket, stock pumps, get an mp10, chiller, HOB skimmer, and your good to go!

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 9 11.3%
Back