Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and stand with a sump/fuge

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454215144.616410.jpg
Nice set up, im transferring my 8 gallon to the jbj 30 and I'm excited but nervous too. Yeah I know I should have got the 45, lol. I'll be adding to my thread soon, I hope.:rolleyes:

BlueRay33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze overflow box fits perfectly into the overflow chamber. Check out my YouTube channel, I'll be covering the sump setup next vid

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454267436.399846.jpg

Domenick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian, are you still using the ocean revive? The more I watch cjs aquarium on YouTube, the more and more I consider going cheaper on my lighting option when I buy my jbj 45. It's my first reef so I want to take my time and figure everything out. Your photos also look great. Currently considering the Ai hydra 26. Any thoughts or reccomendations?

OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Domenick, I am using Kessil A360 & A160 now. I still have my OR T247 and using on my frag tank and still love them.

If I had a choice to do it all over again, I would without a doubt go with AI Hydra 26 :)

You can click on the link down below where my signature is to see those Kessils in action;)

Domenick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Domenick, I am using Kessil A360 & A160 now. I still have my OR T247 and using on my frag tank and still love them.

If I had a choice to do it all over again, I would without a doubt go with AI Hydra 26 :)

You can click on the link down below where my signature is to see those Kessils in action;)
I thought I saw in a video of yours that you had made the switch but I couldn't be 100% sure. Thanks for the suggestion, looks like it will be the hydra 26! Once I move in 2 months I'll be setting my tank up, I'm quite excited switching from a planted freshwater.

I also notice you run 2 jebao rw-4's. I was looking into the tunze nanostream 6055. But for the price and functionality it almost seems like a no Brainer to go with the jebao, not to mention I can buy 2 for the less than the price of 1 tunze, and if I only ended up needing 1 rw-4 I'd have an extra for a rainy day.

Do you happen to know how large the return section of the filtration is? Ideally I'd like to upgrade the 2 stock pumps with 1 but am afraid I won't have enough room to put the tunze 9004 skimmer, and I would prefer to keep mechanical filtration on both ends, incase I want to run some Chaeto in one.

Sorry for the long winded post, I've just got so many things running through my mind as I want to set it up the right way from the beggining.

OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right! you could go with a single pump (Tunze 1073) but you won't be able to fit a Tunze 9004 skimmer in the middle chamber. I turned the first chamber into a refugium and the last one has a media basket full of seachem matrix.

I am not 100% sure but I believe you can fit a tunze 9004 in one of those chamber if you decide to go with a single pump. Also, you could go with a different skimmer, Aquamaxx HOB1 is a nice skimmer.

Here's a video of what I am talking about :)

Domenick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right! you could go with a single pump (Tunze 1073) but you won't be able to fit a Tunze 9004 skimmer in the middle chamber. I turned the first chamber into a refugium and the last one has a media basket full of seachem matrix.

I am not 100% sure but I believe you can fit a tunze 9004 in one of those chamber if you decide to go with a single pump. Also, you could go with a different skimmer, Aquamaxx HOB1 is a nice skimmer.

Here's a video of what I am talking about :)

I was looking at the 1073 but that was my fear. Would you say that the stock pumps are sufficient? I've read mixed reviews.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great looking tank and only three months old? You said reef radiance's you need more than one.
I just got mine up and running and so far I love the look of it. I'm coming from a 37 gallon fresh water that had a CPR refugium hanging on the back ( the large one) but I like the JBJ better. I might have gone with a 65 gallon but the my LFS was having problems getting one and these went on sale at foster and smith ( I got mine for $500.00 with stand ) but I hear you can get them cheaper. I'm running a icecap PK 50 skimmer on it which sticks up, but I plan on adding a refugium underneath so it will go there. What size are the mini reactors? I have the mid size one. I also have two MP10's, Apex with temp, orp, PH and salinity probes as well as a WXM module and will be getting a AFS soon. Tunze ATO my light is a Current Marine Led which nice but not strong enough for corals. So thinking of Kessil or SBreeflights lights when he comes out with apex ready. Hers the pic of my tank cycling

What are you using to hold the BRS screen up? I also hate the glass as well. Is it easy to pull up to teach into the tank? Thanks

image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I am using the desktop size reactor and I purchased the screen top kit from BRS, it comes with everything you need.
I believe you can control Kessils with Apex

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. When I was doing fresh I shad no idea that half the things I bought were really intended for salt. So I'm a little ahead

OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there how are things going? Any new pictures of your tank? I put a nice size scratch on mine yesterday when I was cleaning the glass. :mad:
Good Morning Chris, same ole....really need to take more pictures of my tank.
How did you scratch your glass? got sand on the magnetic glass cleaner?

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Chris, same ole....really need to take more pictures of my tank.
How did you scratch your glass? got sand on the magnetic glass cleaner?
You guessed it and of course it's in the front. But not trying to jinx anything, my tank and " sea children" are doing great. Looking forward to seeing those pictures and btw try not to work so hard. :D

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 158 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back