Jebao 55 watt UV sterilizer questions

Veetz89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I purchased a jebao 55 watt uv sterilizer and I was wondering if anyone who owns this model can answer a couple of questions. I'm installing it mainly for water clarity and to control dinos.

I want to hook it up to my main return pump with a ball valve but not sure where the outlet should go, would I just let it flow right back into the return chamber?

Second question, to be as effective as possible in dinoflagellates control, what would be the optimal flow through the bulb, I'll be installing a flow meter so I can dial it in correctly.

TIA!!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you read this to try and figure out what flow rate to use (dwell time). Jebao does not seem to have any info other than max flow rate. I would find another 55w unit that does have specs and set your appropriately.
http://americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html#whatsize

If you have the return dump into the same chamber as the intake you will be treating some of the same water as you just treated. It will work but it is not as efficient.

OP
OP
Veetz89

Veetz89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you read this to try and figure out what flow rate to use (dwell time). Jebao does not seem to have any info other than max flow rate. I would find another 55w unit that does have specs and set your appropriately.
http://americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html#whatsize

If you have the return dump into the same chamber as the intake you will be treating some of the same water as you just treated. It will work but it is not as efficient.
It was a great read, thank you for the information. Difficult to navigate the site but it seems they lead to the upselling of products so idk if I can vouch for them not being biased. I couldnt find anything on flow rate specifics though to the jebao. They do mention sunsun which to me is a jebao product

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CD05CE75-4B15-4D30-844C-FF5740A7829B.png
Hi, I purchased a jebao 55 watt uv sterilizer and I was wondering if anyone who owns this model can answer a couple of questions. I'm installing it mainly for water clarity and to control dinos.

I want to hook it up to my main return pump with a ball valve but not sure where the outlet should go, would I just let it flow right back into the return chamber?

Second question, to be as effective as possible in dinoflagellates control, what would be the optimal flow through the bulb, I'll be installing a flow meter so I can dial it in correctly.

TIA!!
Got this from BRS.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Manose has one that he uses for your purposes. I believe he is running 150gph through his on an 80 gallon tank.

I have their 35 watt and run right at 120gph through it. I input right before the skimmer and output to the same section just down stream.

OP
OP
Veetz89

Veetz89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Manose has one that he uses for your purposes. I believe he is running 150gph through his on an 80 gallon tank.

I have their 35 watt and run right at 120gph through it. I input right before the skimmer and output to the same section just down stream.
Thanks, this is somewhere wmi was looking to out through it after some reading. I guess input from return and output to the same section isnt popular. I'd think it doesnt matter too much anyway as water keeps pouring into the return from the other chambers regardless

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this is somewhere wmi was looking to out through it after some reading. I guess input from return and output to the same section isnt popular. I'd think it doesnt matter too much anyway as water keeps pouring into the return from the other chambers regardless

Yes, I think that it doesn't really matter. I could just pick up the hose and drop it in the return section if I needed to.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my skimmer dump into the same section as it pulls from. Not a big deal, but not as inefficient.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TIA!!
The main thing to remember is to make sure what kind of dinos you have as some aren't effected by UV at all. I run mine with a maxi jet 1200 powerhead sitting in the back of my main display(not obtrusive at all) running to the UV then (most importantly) run the return line to the back of the display and not the sump as you will not catch the free floating dinos if run to the sump.
For the return I am using this as my return nozzle to keep things clean-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012B7FVUS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Enigma84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anybody had luck ridding their tank of ostreopsis using the jebao 55w UV unit. All I can find is different opinions on flow rate. Between 65pgh and 400gph and then 2-3x turnover of the tank. I am aware if you get this wrong there is no point in doing it. I would just like a solid answer as I am adjusting the valve constantly.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things:

1. All Dino’s are killed by UV, it’s just that some don’t enter the water column readily. You don’t need slow turn over, you fast high flow, low dose, lots of turn over. Dino’s are killed readily by UV.

2. The Jebao UVs are made with cheap plastic, they CANNOT be used long term. Search forum, the plastic disintegrates, causing it to leach into aquarium and the housing will eventually crack causing flood.

3. having said that, it can be used in temp situations like ridding Dino’s. Just take it down after the problem is controlled.

I would shoot for 1500gph, out the pump and return line directly in DT (see image of my temp UV for Dino’s)
B5A492FB-F379-4DF1-9DF9-06B3368AD3E2.jpeg

Every night you must use turkey Baster to blow rocks and sand off, this forces Dino’s into water column and UV kills them. Keep UV on 24/7. Make sure to also dose NO3 and PO4 to detectable levels, keep it up and this will resolve issue in under month.
Good luck!

Damian12355324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick question, if you guys are running it 24/7, has anyone had problems with overheating the power converter? am not sure if that's the case with me as it seems to turn off when it gets too hot at home? used it for 4h or less and it did that

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 92 42.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 108 49.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back