Dinos. Should I upgrade UV sterilizer?

I’m not 100% sure what kept them at bay but getting rid of them was after changing evaporation to tap. Have to assume only plausible affect being silicate in my tap.
The reason dinos show up when nutrients are at 0 is because everything else dies. Your silicates were feeding diatoms which beat the dino.
 
Update. Not sure if I can declare victory against dinoflagellates yet but so far, so good. It's been a week since I reduced light and let the UV do its work. Day 3 of normal light levels (with whites dialed back a bit). So far, no sign of them.... Seeing some trace diatoms but not too bad. Corals look happy.

Current levels:

Ca: 403
Alk: 8.1
Mg: 1220
NO3: 2.1
PO4: 0.05

full tank 2024-08-28.jpg
zoas-2024-05-28-2.jpg
zoas-2024-05-28-3.jpg
nem-2024-05-28.jpg
 
Last edited:
Don’t ease off for a few weeks tho as they will come back fast.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new