JerSaint’s 265 “The OptiMystic Reef”

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2014
Messages
1,549
Reaction score
868
Location
Mystic, CT
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a steal of a deal from ca1ore, his upgrade was my gain (and if you follow along with his 450 build thread you are gaining a ton as well)! So this will be a slow-ish build and I have some big plans in place that may change. Here is the current plan:

265 G Marineland Display with dual corner overflows 84" x 24" x 30" drilled for a closed loop
Hard plumped in red and white
Sump- Either a custom acrylic sump (likely 100g-ish then I can have a gal a day to be thankful for! Maybe 60" x 18" x 18") or the 75G with acrylic baffles I currently have.
Lights- 3 24" ReefBreeders Photon V2's and 2 60" ReefBrite Dual T5HO slim retrofits
Main Pumps- Reef Octopus Varios 6 for the closed loop and a Varios 8 for the return
Water Movement- 2 MP60's one on each end and an MP40 centered on the back wall
Skimmer- JNS Cone CO-3
Custom Built Stand

I will also likely need to get a good quality mask and snorkel for tank maintenance[emoji4]

unnamed (1).jpg
 
This week I have been focused on cleaning. There is nothing like a fresh start! Should be able to finish the cleaning phase tomorrow. Next up is planning out the stand, sump and plumbing.
999666d1ae4a4c74e1cfbbe66db3cdc3.jpg
4ae87d1f9fcffe64c43e7e792b0b7942.jpg
d4ae27330d639c58dc5b2da0784b6ee6.jpg
ecb57a7895669c3601d19ec989e2e18c.jpg
4bcf43f9bc43774041cf9e6323131595.jpg
fb2146d638f0ab6ede1ea610b1a18e41.jpg
81ab58c792d379209b1c775b8f6d3e8d.jpg

788626905145c724ea6797bb865ad67f.jpg
 
Woot! Nice pick up! Now fill 'er up! :D
 
First thing to tackle is the stand, then figuring out the sump, plumbing and equipment. However, I️ will be working to have this fully established and ready for a major shopping spree at the New England Frag Farmers Market in March.
 
Nice job getting her all cleaned up. Glad you got that tank home safely. That tank was an absolute bear to get out of Simon’s house... Ask my two smashed fingers how they know! :eek::p:D
 
I am so happy it made the trip and move down the basement stairs. I had some amazing help from a bunch of great guys!
 
Glad to have you along for the ride @JMetaxas.

Have been researching stand plans and it looks like I️ am going to give steel a shot if I️ can get an affordable quote. I️ really like how open it is. I️ looked around a bit and like the design Melev’s Reef used for his 400 (www.melevsreef.com).
d46c56c18275aea83ac911d30d4e8025.jpg
Love the walk board and know I️ will need it with a 30” tall tank.
 
I️ am really excited to get this going over the next few weeks! Solid plan in place to ensure optimal fish health. Right now I️ have a bunch of live rock and fish in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub and a ton of coral in several locations. I️ plan on setting up my tank with all of the live rock and a very healthy amount of coral right away. Running for 90 days with no fish to avoid ich as a possibility. While that is running I️ will keep the Rubbermaid up with a bunch of pvc elbows and treat all current and soon to be acquired inhabitants with a run or two of PraziPro and observe. Then tank transfer method before adding to the display.
Current Stock:
5 Bangii Cardinals
Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Tomini Tang
Neon Wrasse
2 Phantom Snowflake Clowns
1 Aussie Black Ocellaris Clown

Not sure of what I️ really want to add. Thinking of a school of Convict Tangs, more Cardinals. An Achilles and a bunch or wrasses.
 
Best laid plans...... the tub crashed a while back and I lost nearly everything. It was a heartbreaking disaster that I had set myself up for. No safety net and it crashed hard.

I took a long time to recover, the silver lining was the time it afforded me to get my plan in place and make some cool changes.

Making some more progress the past few weeks. Along with some evolution to my lighting plan. I went with the Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid light rack at 61” I should have enough coverage for the 84” length of the tank. For the LED portion I snagged up 3 AI Hydra 52 HDs. dang it’s bright!!

One more layer to the background and then onto plumbing. I also removed the corner overflow boxes and got custom internal and external overflow boxes. I feel like these will open up some more space(as if I need it) and allow for a really nice scape.

03072ddebb484273f66cfd0fe3524d09.jpg
b89444550188b6c68510d77c44084a72.jpg
d3a69660193b1fe0b0b75f16aecdf50d.jpg
2f899fd95bc85fb90dd4bb7727e327f0.jpg
ee33b45627c81e6232ab6712b3b763b4.jpg
eeb1f2c138e6c6fb2b764067f6d280a2.jpg
5b05bccfaeba65a512bb79dd92ca0057.jpg
 
More equipment and some small changes. Decided on a painted black background which looks great! However, removal of window privacy film adhesive is a bear of a task, Goof Off was a life saver.
I added a bit of flow, we will see if this will be enough. 2 x Icecap Gyre 3k pumps along with 2 x MP-40’s.
c8aa66e571cc2cbf78f3debc8e483949.jpg
 
Water leak test and wave maker test this weekend is going well. Pumps seem like they will provide enough flow and not a drip of water leaked!
0a0d314bc3497fa9e17f99d0c8b8ec65.jpg
 
Calcium reactor setup is coming along!!
Aquamaxx T2 calcium reactor from @MarineDepot , Greo's Reef from @geo 415 second chamber. Two Little Fishes ReBorn for media. Scott Specialty SS Dual stage Regulator. Next step is to put together my AlanLe style Reg. Pics to follow when it’s completed.
Huge shoutout to @Water Dog for all the help compiling the parts for the regulator!!
15bbbece8365f0332ad16a3b88706d4b.jpg
 
Tank is plumbed, full of water and clearing up after adding sand!! So pumped with the slow progress!

Plumbing help from my friend Bob W.
Filling this bad boy up took well over 48 hours!!

9f09a77ed57aaa6694a53890c5146104.jpg
b987eef24b64d884a97aeac9bd1b56af.jpg
8813d9d923da86cdcfa01d5e826a3b64.jpg
baa019682679b90f3f3428ada40b6a7f.jpg
51d3e644f2f14c548781de3f027cb54c.jpg
e29cc43068af6404b1c47c6bb4d5ba0a.jpg
 
Wow! That’s one impressive plumbing job. You did one heck of a job in making Simon’s tank look brand spanking new again! :D
 
Wow! That’s one impressive plumbing job. You did one heck of a job in making Simon’s tank look brand spanking new again! :D

Thank Water Dog! I put some work in, it is coming along can wait to get so coral in there!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new