Jewel Damsel in QT

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally posted this in the wrong forum, so hopefully it’s OK I reposted here.

I recently purchased a Jewel Damsel, and when I got him, he was swimming around a ton in my QT. It took him a day before he would eat. But by day three he just sits in the bottom corner and won’t eat. He’s been in the same spot idling for 2 days. Should I be concerned? Anything I should be doing? He has hiding spots in the QT, perfect parameters, and haven’t added any medication yet.

IMG_1430.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I originally posted this in the wrong forum, so hopefully it’s OK I reposted here.

I recently purchased a Jewel Damsel, and when I got him, he was swimming around a ton in my QT. It took him a day before he would eat. But by day three he just sits in the bottom corner and won’t eat. He’s been in the same spot idling for 2 days. Should I be concerned? Anything I should be doing? He has hiding spots in the QT, perfect parameters, and haven’t added any medication yet.

IMG_1430.jpeg
Not sure if its the tank glass having spots but fish appears to have ich
Please if you can post a you tube video of at least 20 sec to see it clearer and its breathing rate

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1430.jpeg

+1 on needing to see a video to note its breathing rate. What is the ammonia testing at in the tank? Is it in qwith any other fish?

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish in there. Ammonia is good. I think you’ll see in this video that those white spots were in the glass.

I usually just default to copper and prazi QT treatment, but was going to try a more visual QT this time. Maybe I’ll just do the copper and prazi anyways. I’d just like for him to eat again first.

Powerhead might be a bit much which is why he’s struggling a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1436.mov
    55.6 MB

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched the video
Stunning fish hopefully vetteguy and Jay will I'd anything hopefully not good luck

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish in there. Ammonia is good. I think you’ll see in this video that those white spots were in the glass.

I usually just default to copper and prazi QT treatment, but was going to try a more visual QT this time. Maybe I’ll just do the copper and prazi anyways. I’d just like for him to eat again first.

Powerhead might be a bit much which is why he’s struggling a bit.
I see a bit of an injury on its mouth. Maybe turn down the water flow a bit, but be sure there is good aeration.
Lacrymatus damsels are really hardy - it can easily handle standard quarantine.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aerorater running. Should I wait for him to eat before starting treatment? Anything additional I should do for potential mouth injury?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aerorater running. Should I wait for him to eat before starting treatment? Anything additional I should do for potential mouth injury?
No - you should start treatment now. Fish that are not eating rarely just start eating on their own.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: He seems to be doing much better now. Swimming around. Still not eating as much, but a new change of water using water from my DT seemed to make a big difference.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

So he’s still swimming around fine, but watching him for the last couple of days I am almost certain he might be blind. Which could explain the damage on the mouth from banging into things.

Reason I think so is he is unphased by me putting my hands near the glass, he struggles to find food and seems to always be swimming into things.

The curious thing is that on the first day he went right for food when it was dropped in.

Can copper power cause blindness? That’s all that has changed. I ramped up slowly to 2.25ppm.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

So he’s still swimming around fine, but watching him for the last couple of days I am almost certain he might be blind. Which could explain the damage on the mouth from banging into things.

Reason I think so is he is unphased by me putting my hands near the glass, he struggles to find food and seems to always be swimming into things.

The curious thing is that on the first day he went right for food when it was dropped in.

Can copper power cause blindness? That’s all that has changed. I ramped up slowly to 2.25ppm.

Oh, you'll hear people say "copper causes blindness", but it doesn't. The problem is that true blindness happens, but the cause really isn't known, so people apply a cause they thinks makes sense. I've seen many blind fish that were never exposed to copper.

There isn't any cure for blindness, but it does resolve on its own in some cases.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back