Jhildebrand's Re-build

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 6/11 on RC: My re-build/pics - Constructive criticism welcome
Okay, so when I moved to Green Bay a little over a year ago I snagged a good deal on a 260g Miracles tank, custom cabinet stand & canopy, along with 250W halides. I rushed to set it up in the middle of winter before moving all the rest of my stuff. This replaced my 150 FOWLR and got my passion burning once more. I've been a reefer from way back, and for the last 15 years I've had a small reef of some kind going at any given time. This new tank replaced everything and I sold/tossed/ and donated 20 years worth of the rest of the stuff I accumulated in the process.
IMG_0368.jpg

I've since expanded my little saltwater empire to include a big basement sump, 270 gallon basement reef, large refugium, and neat little DSB frag tank. Hey, it only counts as one if they're all connected right? Exploited that little loophole for all it's worth. Hope she's not reading this I am now officially embarrassed when asked how much I've spent thus far. As a result, it's turned into pretty much my only hobby.

Sump room:
IMG_0388.jpg

270 Fiberglass Bonus Basement Reef. Use TBD in the future. Currently housing extra rock and fish that have been banished from the display for misbehaving:
IMG_0273.jpg

DSB frag tub:
IMG_0391.jpg

I love my setup, but due to the rush to get it going before the move, I haven't been super happy with the display. Out of necessity, I had to put up with the flaws and set it up as I bought it. The tank was built to be a room divider, with top to bottom overflows that were formerly covered by a wall and a beam. In my house it has to be located against a wall, so these overflows and plumbing are viewable from the sides and take up a lot of real estate.

IMG_0365.jpg

You can also see where the stand wrapped around a beam here:
IMG_0367.jpg

Large tower overflows clearly visible from the front:
IMG_0371.jpg

I recently discovered a major flaw in my heating system when an 800W heater failed and caused the loss of most of my SPS. Pics reflect coral and rock that has been removed and it looks a bit empty for the size of the tank. Here's what happened if you missed it:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...hreadid=1629470

Although discouraging, my sudden loss of corals has given me an opportunity to change what I do not especially care for.

Things I intend to change:

Add moving light rail with only two 400W lamps with Lumenarcs as opposed to three static lamps. Light rails will not only help save on lamp costs and electricity, but allow for more natural growth as the light reaches more area around branches, rocks, etc. The remaining lamp will be used on the almost square 270g downstairs.

Cut out large plastic tank braces and replacing with PVC bolts and clear acrylic braces to avoid shadows on the back of tank. Acrylic is half inch.

Replacing sand. The decorative sand bed is 1.5 inches and is okay, but appears dirty. Since it is purely for decoration, I am changing to a bright white variety for aesthetics and for its reflective properties.

I am currently experimenting with creating a light box like what is currently used on public aquarium displays. Basically translucent vinyl on an acrylic sheet that is backlit to create a depth effect. Tough to get it to look right, but hopefully it will pay off.

You can see the current refugium here. It consists of three large tubs. First is rubble and extra rock, next is mud and macro, and the third is housing evil hitchhikers. This is being replaced by a large sump purchased from MSUfan. These tubs are too shallow and the salt creep drives me crazy, as well as not being able to see what's going on inside.
IMG_0388.jpg

New fuge:
IMG_0397.jpg

And the biggest challenge: I'm going to empty the tank and all contents to remove the old overflows. I'll be inside the tank for a good amount of time removing silicone after I cut the braces out. Once this is complete I'll be installing a thin Glassholes overflow box. This thing looks fantastic and is promised to be near silent. The glass is 5/8 inch thick and I don't look forward to the task of drilling glass that thick, especially when it's vertical. All drain plumbing to be upgraded to 1.5 inch from the factory drilled 1 inch.

There are 4 holes in the bottom of the tank for current drains and returns. All bulkheads will be capped and not used, although the thought of making these holes a closed loop has crossed my mind. Another pump and yet more electricity use is not appealing though.

Lastly, and after what is sure to be a long day, I will be using epoxy and fiberglass rods to make a more permanent structure. The tank is 34 inches high and I've suffered more than one avalanche in the past year as well as a tuxedo urchin that tries my patience moving rock at least once a week. After an exhaustive search of aquascaping threads, I've decided to go with an open look and island structures over the traditional wall of rock. I love the way the fish can navigate the space and the more natural look it creates. Also a couple of my tangs will be eventually needing that space.

Should be a fun ride. My apologies for the long post if you've made it this far. I will update as I progress. Although I have thoroughly researched every mentioned change, tips and criticism are always appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:

OMG, this was the mother of all underestimations. I did this a couple weeks ago and it was three days worth of work that I tried to do in one day off.

Step one: Transfer rock to basement after tarping the floor.

IMG_0424.jpg

Drain water outside. All going well so far. I figure it's only 9:30 now, so I'll totally be done by dinner...

IMG_0427.jpg

Cut overflows out. This was the start of the problems. When I removed the boxes I discovered they were held in place by half inch glass retainer strips that were siliconed to the walls of the tank. You can see them in the pic below. After trying every tool and blade available, the only thing that worked was using a hammer and chisel to get the glass strips off. All the while I could picture one wrong blow ruining my tank. This took over an hour per side plus scraping the old silicone off the glass.

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

After lunch I cut and drilled the acrylic to replace the black braces. This actually went smoothly. I was very happy with the way this turned out. I won't miss the shadows these caused.

IMG_0430.jpg

Done. But now it's 2:00. Well, there goes dinner plans. Lots of work to do yet.

IMG_0431.jpg

Next step: Install new glassholes.com overflow. This went well too. The thick glass was easy to drill and no chip-out. The instructions were easy to follow and I love the small footprint. Thanks to Mike at Glassholes for the help and custom bulkheads for the thicker glass. You can hardly see it - a big change from the massive black towers.

IMG_0432.jpg

I attached an Aquamags frag rock to the overflow to help conceal it. There will be a rock tower that meets the overflow so it will be difficult to see.

IMG_0434.jpg

Here comes the sand. I love the white. My old stuff always appeared dirty.

IMG_0435.jpg

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good, thats nice that you are able to keep your existing tank, just modify it.

I love you basement setup!!

LMK when all is running well, I still have those freebees for ya.

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time that last pic was taken it was 6 pm. Now I was nervous - still had all my rock in the basement tank and all my plumbing to do. I won't bore you with the details of the plumbing, but the project took ten hours! That's 4 am for those of you keeping track. I have to work at nine, and the rock still needed to be drilled for the towers. At 8:30 I had to get ready for work - that's almost 24 straight hours working on the tank stopping only to eat. Some pieces of PVC I cut and re-cut three times to get it right because I was so tired I kept making mistakes. Not so good when using power tools. Here's the tank as of noon that next day:

IMG_0436.jpg

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not for everybody. I'm still finessing the rockwork, but I really like the open look. The sand looks awesome, but I'm still trying to figure out the placement with the Vortechs. After about a day they clear bare spots on the bottom. I have a lot more rock and may need to add some to keep the sand where it needs to be.

On to the lights:

I replaced my actinic PCs with powerbrite LEDs mounted on a closet pole in my canopy. These come on in the morning and stay on until two hours after the halides go off. This is how it looks at 11 pm - I really like it and the shimmer is amazing!

IMG_0439.jpg

Considering it cost next to nothing to run these, I wish I'd have gone this route a long time ago.

Next up: 400W metal halide and light rail install and getting my coral back in the display.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like your aquascape and the open look. I also like the fact that you removed the overflows. It looks great!

I can't believe you stayed up that long! So how long did you work and how long did you sleep when you got home?

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev. I worked from 9 to 6 that day. It wasn't exactly my "A" game :) I crashed pretty hard when I got home.

I think it'll work out pretty well. It's going to take a while for the frags to grow in.I've got a vlamingi and a naso that I want to keep happy for as long as possible. Maybe by then the wife will be open to the 600 I have in mind!

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, what an undertaking ! you did a great job and it looks really nice. nice job on the rockwork too :)

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm in a bit over my head. Friends and family think I lost my mind long ago. The forum makes me feel normal though :)

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow...i to like the openness of the tank now!! it may take some time for the sand to sit still.if its suger sized that is...it took a wile for my to stay.

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great man. Whatever you like for rock work, go for it! It's your tank. I'd only be concerned about losing out on the surface area for bacteria filtration, but I'm sure the rubble and mud you have planned in the fuge will help with that.

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I spent my day off making a cabinet surround for my plumbing and cords and re-stacking the middle section of the tank.

Before:

IMG_0367.jpg

After:

IMG_0574.jpg

While I liked the open look of the original layout here, it soon became apparent that I would not have nearly enough room for my colonies/frags. In addition to that, the little eddies from the Vortechs were making piles of sand in odd places.

Before:

IMG_0439.jpg

After:

IMG_0578.jpg

These are just with the Powerbrite LEDS. I'll take another pic with the halides on soon.

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the new Super Reef Octopus doing its thing:

IMG_0554.jpg

I have the old Octo DDNW 250 upstream preskimming. I really didn't want to do two skimmers, but with just under 1000 gal of water now, this was the most cost effective way to go. The new bubble blaster pump on this thing really kicks. I'm not usually impressed with anything made cheaply in China, but the numbers on this pump blow away even the Askoll on more expensive skimmers and it has a three year warranty. I plan to run my own numbers when I can find some time to get the Dwyer out and see what kind of air it's sucking. For right now though, I'm happy with the amount of crap it's pulling out of the water and it seems to be money well spent.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cabinets turned out really nice John. I like the looks of the new aquascaping as well. I dunno why but I do. You seem to be one heck of a woodworker. Maybe we should talk! LOL

Eric

ken_wied

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that John. The setup is coming along nicely! Cant wait to see the actual finished product!

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta get some updated pics up with the halides on too. Way too much of the coral is in the basement tank yet. It's really coming along. We'll, it should be - I don't really do much else...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back