Took a break from the reef projects last weekend and probably wont get much done this weekend. I still have so much on my list.
- finish framing/finishing walls in basement
- relocate existing outlets and add GFIs where needed
- purchase and install new light fixtures(to better light the basement)
- find a big cheap top off reservoir and setup the avast gravity fed ATO(looking at 55g drums, for mixing station too)
- co2 scrubber recirculating setup on the tunze skimmer(need some fittings)
- kalk stirrer
- refugium/biodiversity tank
I have been watching the TM Pro Turkey salt stuff like a hawk. Admittedly I would love a good explanation/scapegoat for my SPS crash after transferring to this tank in early December. I had ruled out a contaminate long ago. But with the increasing reports of SPS specific issues with the Turkey salt, the reports of clay, high levels of iron & manganese, and halting of production at the Turkey facility.... I have to strongly consider it could have been at least a part of my problem.
Basically I've had a tank full of this Turkey salt ever since the transfer. My coral had only been exposed to the German stuff prior. I've gotten much more aggressive with my water changes. I previously had been doing none in an effort to keep nutrients up. I'm using IO purple now. I did a 20g WC this past Sunday and another 20g on Thursday. I cannot deny the significant improvements I'm already seeing. Colors are still utter garbage, but polyp extension is the best I've seen since the nano.
@mdb_talon was nice enough to deliver a par meter direct to my house. Since rebooting, I had intentionally kept the coralcare intensity down. I've been slowly lowering the mounting height and increasing intensity ever since.
I always figured I'd end up running this thing near full intensity over a 30x30. It was very nice to confirm that with the par meter. It opened my eyes to just how little par I was hitting the tank with since the reboot. Mounting height is a HUGE factor.
11" off the surface, 100% intensity, 50/50 whites to blues. Ignore my ****** brown coral.
I'm happy with these numbers. And generally impressed with the spread the coralcare is providing. I'm sure I'll end up supplementing a 24" bar or t5s front and back. But it's more than adequate for the time being.
If you didn't notice, I have Tunze pumps in my tank now.
@Rakie was right. My MPs and Neros were not suited for this cube. The difference using just two Tunze 6095s compared to two Nero 3s and two MP10s is blowing my mind. I actually ordered three 6095s, but they only delivered two due to stock. I'm pushing less GPH, but the flow pattern in my tank has drastically improved.
In other news...
Picked up a Blue Eye/Two Spot Bristletooth Tang recently.
Some other cool stuff.