John's 60 gal Cube

Mhumbach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank! I bought the marineland 45g cube, I had to drill it myself because it wasnt drilled. I ended up using a similar setup with a 1" overflow with a mag 9.5 and its a perfect combination. Good luck!!

OP
OP
J

JHiestand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the rock work was driving me crazy, so I ripped it all out tonight and redid it. Not sure if I like it 100% because I can't completely see it right now. Here is a few shots of if from the three sides.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364444527.954836.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364444542.843826.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364444559.354676.jpg

OP
OP
J

JHiestand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one from today. I think I am going to leave it. It always looks better once its covered in coral. Sorry it's dark, my light is over my frag tank right now.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1364573940.771408.jpg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube with a skimz 181 on it. It skims the heck out of this size tank :) As for the aquascaping, I think you should get your drill and some 1/2 or 3/4 PVC and create :)

OP
OP
J

JHiestand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully I am not a big fan of the "zen" , or whatever people are calling it, rock work. I like a more natural look and the foot print of this tank doesn't really allow me to do what I want. I like the idea of being to remove them separately also.

tbryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral will eventually cover up all of that aquascaping crap anyway, good call on redoing the plumbing that overflow is terrible.

OP
OP
J

JHiestand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything has been going pretty well. I finished the hood and got the light installed. I had to build a little stand for the skimmer because it was too deep in the sump. I fixed the drain setup and now can run the 9.5 wide open. I might change the outlets around so I can remove the power heads like my original plan. I have also picked up quite a bit of coral lately, I have been put on coral probation by the wifey for a few weeks lol. Well here's a bunch of pictures for you all. Sorry about the quality they are IPhone pictures and it gets washed out with the leds.

OP
OP
J

JHiestand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does anyone know why I can't edit my posts? I would like to rotate a few of the pictures and the last one didn't upload because enter wasn't working.

OP
OP
J

JHiestand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates

Well I have a lot of updates here. I had a fish get into the overflow box and with the back drilled, not the bottom, I couldn't get it out. So that meant breaking the whole tank down and removing the overflow box. I managed to save the fish but it took a complete tear down. I decide to change everything up a bit. I drilled two more return holes at the bottom and two more drain holes for a bean overflow setup. I cut a new overflow box out of 1/2" acrylic and 1put that into place. As soon as I get a few bulkheads in the mail I will water test again.

OP
OP
J

JHiestand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow box fixed

Back up and running now, the scwd is working great, I will be adding an MP10 to the back wall but that's about it, time for a massive picture update.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back