Joining the club and Needing Help

AcuraCl1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be joining the club this month. Hoping this week.

I bought a 240G aquarium over a month ago, and put in my living room. I havnt done anything with it yet. I only have the stand, aquarium, and canopy. After it was setup and I was cleaning it, I noticed in the overflows, we had forgotten to cut a hole in the wood thats under the aquarium for the bulkhead. I am needing to know the best way to cut this now.

I am also needing assistance with plumbing, and getting the tank up to where it can at least start cycling.

I know, I need to get additional equipment, but have to save on cost for 2 more weeks as thats when I get paid. So, I would like to only get what I must have to at least get it started for cycling. Not sure if its possible, but im having a party for work at my house on 11/05, is there anything I can do to speed it up where its ready for fish the day before.

I appreciate anyones help, and this is a great club, as I use to be a member.

Thanks
Scott

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are hole cutter drill bits that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. What are your plans for this tank? Fish only or Reef?

What area of Nashville/Mid TN do you live?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have anything between the tank and stand like foam?you will need to cut a home with at lease an extra inch of space to put bulkheads in. It is very precise work done laying on ur back. What part of the area r u ? I am a pretty good plumber and work cheap.

Pecked out on my Android tablet with Tapatalk

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott used to live in Lebanon i believe? If you have dremel type tool you can cut the holes you need like that without removing the tank. Or a Jigsaw with a short blade that only reaches through the wood and won't hit the tank but that's risky if your not real careful.
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always just tilt the back side up and wedge it while cutting hole with jigsaw.

Pecked out on my Android tablet with Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AcuraCl1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies. I live in the antioch area now. I have a piece of foam and a flat board between it.

OP
OP
A

AcuraCl1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I would love to make it a reef aquarium. Plus my nephew has really been missing my 150g I used to own. Everytime he comes over, he goes straight to the aquarium looking for fish.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a large setup like this, the last thing you need to do is rush anything. By the time you get the plumbing done, and the the amount of live rock and sand you will need and the rest of the equipment, I doubt you will have the tank cycled by the date you posted to put fish in the tank. That's just my 2 cents.

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the plumbing is definitely doable and as far as getting it cycled, you can get some bacteria in a bottle. I used it when I first started and got my tank ready pretty quickly but of course everyone's experience may be different. I'm including a link to help you with this and maybe get your tank cycled pretty quickly: Bacteria in a Bottle: Snake Oil or Worth Trusting?

Of course, I think it's always smarter to take your time with this hobby. You can definitely get some fish in there rather quickly but as for corals, I would wait longer.

1tyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the right place !

Welcome. U R in the right area to get great advice. And the club is thriving with wonderful people eager to help. I did use the Dr. Tims miracle juice ,as my friend calls it, and it worked well. Go to Mr saltwater site and check out interview. As far as equipment I have a lot of things that I simply didnt use in my build. PM me if interested and I can tell u what I have. Need to come up that way soon to pick up a reactor from Travis so can drop off parts save on shipping. Cant ship tank through mail. Feel free to ask members of MTRC about me. Or hit New Wave up and ask. Happy reefing. God Bless.:angel::bigsmile:

OP
OP
A

AcuraCl1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I definately dont want to rush, and mess something up. If the date isnt doable, thats fine. I would like to at least start getting the tank setup for my little nephew. That way he has something to look at when he comes over. Any help would be greatly appreciated, like plumbing or anything.

Thanks
Scott

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tim believes you can have it cycled in a week so that gives you time to get some fish. If you add it now and maybe add a fish per week you should be golden by the time your party comes around.

OP
OP
A

AcuraCl1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, now to get plumbing supplies, bulkheads, sand, and live rock. And some help with it.

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the miracle juice I used it wand did wonders. Not gonna be coral ready in a week but defenatly fish ready.

orthokardia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club. If u got to have fish by the part then fill it with fresh water and throw a few bluegill in until after the party;)

-bart

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back