OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's go over those goals I had for last week, shall we? Marked up in red below.
Goals for the week
1. Frag and glue zoas to rocks FAIL
2. Install IM skimmer--yes, I hear it's pretty blah, but mostly interested in the aeration and maybe a little skimming activity since my tank runs low nitrates already. FAIL
3. Getting new bubblegum digi + magician palys + white zombie palys + jawbreaker hornets this week! SUCCESS!
4. Frag and glue the acros that's currently balancing on a branch of the nem island FAIL--in fact, now balancing a digi, too
5. Set up the 10g frag tank FAIL
6. Kill the aiptasia on the rock in QT UNDETERMINED
7. Water change! FAIL (but I made new saltwater! Counts for something, right?)
8. Maybe frag the koji wada.... FAIL

Gonna be a busy week!

Maybe I'll use the same list for this week's goals...

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These shroom startin' to grow BIG! I might have to switch over to some fancier ones--had my eyes on getting a neptune bounce or a dragon lady bounce...
1695071468879.png

1695071491444.png

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters!

NO3: 0ppm :angry-face:
PO4: 0.4ppm :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
ALK: <7dKh :angry-face:
Ca: 500 :sleeping-face:
Mg: 1560 :sleeping-face:

Conclusion: Phosguard did well bringing the PO4 down from ~0.15ppm. Nitrates still stubbornly low, although I think it is mostly corals consuming it nonstop. ALK is also stubbornly low, and I keep having to increase the AFR dosing. Ca/Mg are fine, they've always been elevated.

SO, once I can finally connect again to my Reef Factory doser :)angry-face::angry-face::angry-face:), I'll increase the amount of AFR and maybe increase feeding a bit + make up some Ca Nitrate solution.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo, my Reef Factory doser just dumped about 20mL of Reef Nutrition food into the tank. No idea why. I had it set to 4mL, which was actually dosing more like 2mLs, so it just spit out a 10x dose of food. At 177mL/bottle and avg $30/bottle, that was a $3.40 snack just now. Also, I can't connect to the App to make adjustments, and the unit also stopped transmitting it's own wifi signal, so I can't connect directly to the device. This probably explains why I came in to the office today to a bone dry tube of prepared RN food mix, even though I thought I'd made enough for the whole weekend + extra...

Worst. Purchase. Ever.

Now looking for a new doser so I can sell this one off with a disclaimer or just bust it to pieces a la Office Space style. (honestly, if this unit had a speaker repeating "PC Load Letter", I still wouldn't hate it more than I do right now).

Factory Reset time :angry-face:

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Monday reefers!
1695660387586.png

And here's the newest entry, my poor bubblegum digi abandoned in the sand bed:
1695660505289.png

Right, so goals for the week starting to sound like a broken record...
1. Set up frag tank (I at least cleaned it out a bit last week)
2. Frag stuff!
3. Place zoas where they need to be
4. Place digi and acros where they need to be; glue down blasto and acan
5. Water change/Change filter pads/clean AIO chambers
6. Set up skimmer
7. BUY NEW SIMPLICITY DOSER
8. Rearrange some unhappy corals (alveopora, octospawn...)

P.s. That purple stylo is a BEAST! It is growing into the goldenrod anacropora. Not sure what to do about it. They are millimeters from touching now. I guess I could pull off the anacropora and move it over a bit. Kind of just want to let that stylo do its thing.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Monday reefers!
1695660387586.png

1695660505289.png

2. Frag stuff!
6. Set up skimmer

P.s. That purple stylo is a BEAST! It is growing into the goldenrod anacropora. Not sure what to do about it. They are millimeters from touching now. I guess I could pull off the anacropora and move it over a bit. Kind of just want to let that stylo do its thing.
looks like a rubber ducky

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Monday reefers!
1695660387586.png

1695660505289.png

2. Frag stuff!
6. Set up skimmer

The fact that when you said purple stylo I first looked at the koji wada means that I definitely need to get one.

Tank looking great as always! Not sure how you can manage to walk away every weekend without a broken heart.

EDIT: Also glad to see I'm not the only one with a pair of rusty tongs, bahahaha.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: Also glad to see I'm not the only one with a pair of rusty tongs, bahahaha.
Haha, busted!

I can send you some koji wada at some point. I'm going to start making frag packs to send out to people.

@Lost in the Sauce how is your Oct 6th mid-day? I'm flying out of LAX. I could drop off frags beforehand that you could combine with yours to get a few frag packs together for our good friends. I'll mostly have zoas, koji wada and birdsnest.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that when you said purple stylo I first looked at the koji wada means that I definitely need to get one.

Tank looking great as always! Not sure how you can manage to walk away every weekend without a broken heart.

Also, koji wada is really tough to photograph. It doesn't play by the rules. Looks much more pink and looks best in more white light. Heavy blues makes it stand out much less.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, koji wada is really tough to photograph. It doesn't play by the rules. Looks much more pink and looks best in more white light. Heavy blues makes it stand out much less.
I agree. Pics never look as good as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_3919.jpeg
    IMG_3919.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear mines grown a whole new trunk in the weeks since I took that.
That's good growth. How many fish in the koji tank? I'm convinced more fish = more growth, but that could be just me using confirmation bias to justify overstocking, haha!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good growth. How many fish in the koji tank? I'm convinced more fish = more growth, but that could be just me using confirmation bias to justify overstocking, haha!
I mean not all my corals are growing like crazy but about 20

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, busted!

I can send you some koji wada at some point. I'm going to start making frag packs to send out to people.

@Lost in the Sauce how is your Oct 6th mid-day? I'm flying out of LAX. I could drop off frags beforehand that you could combine with yours to get a few frag packs together for our good friends. I'll mostly have zoas, koji wada and birdsnest.
Oh man, I would LOVE that! I was really excited about swapping coral with folks when I set the tank up, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of a local scene for it unless you're offering a forest green dollaris billicus with a very dense growth pattern.

I haven't shipped coral before, but I'll happily send down some Tubbs Blue and my firstborn jawbreaker.

Coral is like furniture. Better with a story.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back