Joe's Glass Box Reef

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's bout that time where I finally do a tank for sps. I've been wanting an sps dominant tank because they look the most natural being because it's not all crowded with frag plugs or coral on the sandbed. Tank is on its way to me and should be here in about a week. Now I'm going in a different route with the filtration of this tank and the reason that i am going to go with a hang on the back everything is because I want to keep the tank as quiet as possible because it will be in my bedroom, and try to show others that you don't necessarily need a sump to be successful, especially for those who are new to the hobby and think a sump is essential on becoming successful (heads up, it isn't!).

So here's the rundown of the equipment and material I will be using:

Tank:
-AquaMaxx Premium Cube Low-Iron Rimless - 57 Gallon
1AquaMaxx Aquarium Leveling Mat - 35.5 inch x 23.6 inch (5mm)

Lighting:
-Radion XR15W G4 Pro

Filtration:
-Aquamaxx HF-M Hang-On-Back Multi Filter with Protein Skimmer
-AquaMaxx FR-S Internal GFO Carbon and Biopellet Filter Media Reactor with Sicce Pump x2 (to be used for gfo and carbon)

Rock & Sand:
AquaMaxx Eco-Rock Dry Live Rock - 50lbs
Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand 1.0-2.0 mm; 40lbs

Filtration:
-AquaMaxx HF-M Hang-On-Back Multi Filter with
Protein Skimmer
-AquaMaxx FR-S Internal GFO Carbon and Biopellet Filter Media Reactor with Sicce Pump x2 (to be used for gfo and carbon)

Flow/Circulation: 2x MP10QDs

A lot of Aquamaxx products I know, but being a local company that brings out solid and well built products i give them my business plus their skimmers work like crazy good. The HF-M filter allows me to store a heater, 2 of their reactors, or even a refugium with a viewing window if needed, along with a built in skimmer, media chamber and that all runs on one sicce 1.0 pump. Now being a smaller filtration method than your usual sump and having all that room for refguiums, algae scrubbers, etc. I'm going to stock this tank a few fish to keep the bioload very light. Thinking of a small leopard/ornate/mystery wrasse, possibly some chromis, diamond goby, possibly a pair of clowns. But you get the idea. As time progresses and the corals grow and deplete calcium, alk, and mag I will start automatic dosing. Thinking of the DOS by neptunes.

Stand is coming along real nice, using 2x4s and mdf and then I will paint it black hopefully tomorrow. Now mdf over time along with particle board does expand when water especially saltwater gets on it so I guess I have to be careful.
IMG_4410.JPG
IMG_4412.JPG
IMG_4414.JPG
IMG_4416.JPG
IMG_4418.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rockin' and rollin'! Following along!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool!

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally everything arrived. Just putting it all together. In the process of filling the tank. Worked on the aquascaping last night. Adding salt and sand and all the rockwork today, seeding it with instant ocean bio-spira and then we wait.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5001.JPG
we are just about there. I finally moved the rockwork in the position I want it. Now I have to figure out what pumps to run as well as which dosing pump to get.

Gil Guajardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see pics of the HF-M on a tank. It's pretty big, eh? At least it's black. Wish my HOB-1 were black.

Mystery wrasse ❤️ First you've gotta acquire one. They're hard to find, right?

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see pics of the HF-M on a tank. It's pretty big, eh? At least it's black. Wish my HOB-1 were black.

Mystery wrasse [emoji173]️ First you've gotta acquire one. They're hard to find, right?

Surprisingly not. Liveaquaria's divers den usually has one or two every couple of weeks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back