Journaling progress for my new salt water tank!

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I started my salt water tank exactly two weeks ago! I have a 32g coralife biocube. I bought the salt water from my local aquarium store, live sand, and added rock (nothing on it). In my tank, I currently have a heater, sump, 3 5 gallon buckets (one for ro/di water and one for salt water), a 4-stage BRS ro/di system, multi filter stand with some black & white cartridge that came with it, Hydor Koralia Smartwave Reef Pump Kit for Aquariums (a controller and two 425 gph pumps), thermometer, and a fluval test kit.
I am looking at acquiring next:
  • Tunze USA 3155.000 Automatic Top off Osmolator for Aquariums
  • Hydor Koralia Nano 425 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 425 GPH (for salt water bucket)
  • Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 50W (for salt water bucket)
  • inTank Aquarium and Pond Value Pack - Bonded Blue & White Poly Filter Floss Pads 600-square-inches
  • Red Sea MARINE CARE TEST KIT (to compare to my current test kit)
  • Auto feeder (when I get my fish)
My ultimate goal is to have a pair of clownfish and a pistol shrimp and a goby. I'd also like to eventually have coral in my tank.
Next steps are to get my numbers to where they need to be (0 for ammonia and nitrite). I am cycling my tank currently.
My numbers are as follows:
  • Ammonia: Trace
  • Nitrite: 0.3
  • Salinity: 1.024
  • Nitrate: 15
  • pH: 8.3
As overwhelming as this is, I'd appreciate any feedback, advice or recommendations.

20180616_070559.jpg
A good amount of algae growth (basically running lights 24/7, using moonrise/sunrise, daylight leds - too much?)
20180613_181032.jpg
The circulation pump in the upper right is facing downward on the rock, and the bottom left one is facing straight, towards the top if the tank.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good my friend;)

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding clown fish!

20180623_114833.jpg

Edit: I have frozen brine shrimp for them and new life spectrum pellets. Is this a good diet?

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been about 4 weeks now since I established my tank. My two clown fish are doing well. My ammonia is about 0, nitrite is about .3, salinity about 1.022 (I need to bump this up - goal is 1.026 over time), nitrate is 5, ph is 8.11 and KH is 5. I got a bucket going for salt water. I have a heater and pump wave circulation going on in there, and plan on bumping that up the salinity to 1.026. This weekend, I am planning on getting CUC members, if my parameters look good. Can anybody recommend a good set? I have a good amount of algae growing in my tank (on the walls, substrate and rocks). As for the filter, I finally added my filter floss. I also got my ato setup, but ATM, I have it off, as I would like to slowly increase the salinity of the tank, and trying to figure out the best way to slowly do it so I don't kill anything in my tank. My temperature of the tank is 80. Is this a good place to be, or does it need to be lower? I'd like to eventually have coral and anemones. Anything else I am missing? :)

Edit: I have brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and pellets, and feed them every other day.

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has fully cycled! Time to add some cuc now! :)

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my CUC:
12 zebra hermits
3 nassarius snails
6 spiral top trochus

My glass does not seem to be getting cleaner though... any recommendations?

20180714_112144.jpg

vence

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Razor blade and go to town scrapping then do a 20% water change the next day. That's what I've been doing

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't the CUC that I got, take care of it?
Why is a water change required after removal? And will the blade scratch the tank?

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had the first death in my tank today. It is a zebra hermit, and he was without a shell, so not sure what really happened...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back