J's Coral School (80g frag tank)

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2016
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
3,642
Location
Ocala, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There had been a Deep Blue 80g rimless with R&J stand sitting at my LFS for quite a while now and I had been tempted to pick it up and use it as a frag tank. So I finally pulled the trigger and got it.

Equipment:
Tank: Deep Blue 80g Rimless
Stand: R&J Extreme
Sump: Icecap 24
Pump: Lifegard 1400
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150SS
Controller: Neptune Systems Apex Classic
Module: ALD (Advanced Leak Detection)
Lights: AI Hydra 26HD x3

Some of the equipment (skimmer, lights) were chosen because I already had them on hand. While I prefer Sicce pumps the Lifegard was $80 less and is sufficient for the application. I have also had good success on other systems running the Icecap sumps - and I like that they have an ATO chamber.

Apex:
I decided to mount the display inside the door for convenience.
IMG_20181010_152800.jpg
IMG_20181010_152805.jpg
(Cables to be tidied up soon)
Sump/Pump/Skimmer:
IMG_20181010_152808.jpg
Tank:
IMG_20181010_152815.jpg

I will be putting lights over it by the end of the week.
 
Last edited:
Put the hydras over it today. I went with the rail because I already had the legs from my old 125, I just purchased the 48" rail.
IMG_20181011_124544.jpg
I am going to start by running a schedule similar to what I run at home which is:
Hydra settings schedule.JPG
With my max setting:
Hydra settings.JPG

I believe this should be good for frag growth as my corals at home are growing well under this while maintaining good coloration. I am open to suggestions though.
 
I should have also noted, I also used foam under the tank and the sump to help with leveling and vibration reduction:
IMG_20181004_110427.jpg
 
Tidied up the cables with some zip-tie mounts:
IMG_20181018_140517.jpg IMG_20181018_140522.jpg
 
Nice, I wish I could find one of these locally. I think I'm going to have to go with the lowboy as that all I can get my hands on for a reasonable price. I'll be following.
 
Update on the frag tank?
 
No updates just yet.

I just ordered some ceramic tiles from Ocean Wonders that I am going to grow most things out on. I figured zoas could be scraped off of them and I could use sheers or see if I can use my LFS's saw to cut up anything encrusting.

I am also researching frag racks.

Anyone have a favorite?

I have looked at OctoAquatics, ZenReef, and Building an Obsession.
 
No updates just yet.

I just ordered some ceramic tiles from Ocean Wonders that I am going to grow most things out on. I figured zoas could be scraped off of them and I could use sheers or see if I can use my LFS's saw to cut up anything encrusting.

I am also researching frag racks.

Anyone have a favorite?

I have looked at OctoAquatics, ZenReef, and Building an Obsession.

Zen reef frag racks are amazing. I just did a diy out of acrylic. Total cost maybe $30 but it doesn’t even compare to a quality rack made by the pros
 
Zen reef frag racks are amazing. I just did a diy out of acrylic. Total cost maybe $30 but it doesn’t even compare to a quality rack made by the pros
I have a ZenReef that I do really like. The keepers back a big difference in keeping the frags in place with my aggressive algae eaters.
 
I have a ZenReef that I do really like. The keepers back a big difference in keeping the frags in place with my aggressive algae eaters.

for sure! i just got home to see my urchin walking around with a frag on his back. if you have the money i would recommend zen
 
While there are no corals (yet), there was a slight change.

I have had this MP10W sitting around for a while so I decided to trade out the Hydor. (top left)
IMG_20181112_134111.jpg
 
No photo updates today but wanted to check in, since my last post I have introduced two chalices and a montipora to see how things are doing.
 
Wanted to give an update on how things are going.

I have added more corals and I am using Ocean Wonders 3" Aragocrete and Ceramic tiles for grow out. I am organizing them by rough type (ie: zoa, montipora, chalice, etc) with the rack intended for frags getting ready to transplant/sell (currently there a couple new SPS on it that have not been moved to tiles yet).

Season's Greeting Montipora on an Aragocrete Tile:
IMG_20190307_154638.jpg

Sunny D's on the rack ready to sell:
IMG_20190308_080044.jpg

How the tank is organized:
IMG_20190308_080157.jpg
IMG_20190308_080154.jpg
IMG_20190308_080147.jpg
 
I decided to add a third Hydra:
MVIMG_20190314_084854.jpg

The basket is for shrooms, as of 3/14 it is only housing some Ricordea.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new