Jump Starting Chaetomorpha Growth

David Carp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank's Bio Load may not be enough to support chaeto.

Can I fertilize the chaeto with waste from another tanks skimmer?

Thanks,

David

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want to grow Chaeto or are you just trying to remove nutrients by growing Chaeto? Not sure why you would worry about the Chaeto thriving or starving. If it grows it is working. I doubt that it will shrivel, the stuff is indestructible and it will start growing as the tank gets dirty. No need to speed that up, it will happen as your system get older.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose phosphate and nitrate to keep them detectable to keep the chaeto alive while the load is low.

My chaeto came early and was the first thing added for stock after liverock to my tank, I had to dose phosphates and nitrates for quite a long time.

I knew I would need it on a reverse light cycle from my DT to keep PH up was my primary reason for it, as well as a home for pods.

Edit: it will also be important that you take measures to stop nutrient depletion unless you are diligent with water changes. If you let the chaeto get fairly large, you may want to consider trace element suplimentation.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want to grow Chaeto or are you just trying to remove nutrients by growing Chaeto? Not sure why you would worry about the Chaeto thriving or starving. If it grows it is working. I doubt that it will shrivel, the stuff is indestructible and it will start growing as the tank gets dirty. No need to speed that up, it will happen as your system get older.
I have had shrinkage due to lack of traces, my iron bottomed out and my big ball of chaeto shrank significantly and left me with high nutrients. But I haven't whitnessed shrinkage due to lack of nutrients so this may be true.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
nitrates, phosphates, iron, and manganese all help with chaeto growth. make sure to test your nitrate/phosphate regularly to avoid raising your nutrients too much

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back